Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Having trouble with php. Or maybe XAMPP or Apache

• Please log in to reply

Craigypoos

Craigypoos

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I hope someone can help me. I have been writing websites and publishing them for a couple of years and wanted to move into using php to make my sites better. So after spending days trying (and failing!) to install and configure php and apache (php 5.14 & 5.0.58 with Apache 2.2) I came across some advice on a forum saying to ditch the whole thing and try installing XAMPP instead. 20 minutes later XAMPP seemed to be correctly installed and running properly. Even the example pages they give you (with biorhythm graphs and such) worked fine.

But when I try writing my own php scripts it doesn't work. I wrote a simple "Hello World" kinda script and placed it in my htdocs folder and then opened it up in Netscape. All I got was blank page. Worse, when I tried to open the page in Internet Explorer, it failed to open and kickstarted dreamweaver (even though I wrote the script page in notepad!) I tried placing the php snippet inside html containers and the same thing happened.

Help me please someone before this all drives me insane!

Craig

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Can you provide a link to the page online or example of the php code (the simpler one...) you wrote and the filename you used? Probably missed a question or three here. Hopefully, someone with a lot more PHP code writing experience will be around by the time you post back and give a hand on your post.

Ron

Craigypoos

Craigypoos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for your reply but I have the problem fixed now.

Thanks again anyway,
Craig

Edited by Craigypoos, 26 June 2006 - 12:44 AM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
OK. Glad you found the problem and for letting us know.

Ron