Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive woes

• Please log in to reply

LCSulla

LCSulla

• Pip
  • 4 posts
About two weeks ago my hard drive suddenly stopped working. When it would boot windows it would load a few files and then stop (blue screen of death). I've put the drive in another computer (same type: WinXP sp2, NTFS) to retrieve the files from it, but the drive doesn't show any files. However if I let ScanDisk run on that drive, it sees the drive's name, files system (NTFS) and examines the files. It does report a few "record sections" as unreadable, and deletes others. Windows shows the drive's name and that it is (correctly) half full. I'm assuming the MBR or the FAT tables have been corrupted. Is there a way to restore these so that the files can be recovered?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start > run
cmd
<enter>

chkdsk {volume letter} /r
<enter>

That may work, but it sounds like a more serious problem then that will solve--ity sounds more like your partition table is damaged

Maybe something like this

http://www.officerec...elete/index.htm

LCSulla

LCSulla

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I've already tried chkdsk /r. A few times Windows will show the drive as raw, but if I run chkdsk /r again the system will recognize it as a half-full NTFS drive. Otherwise chkdsk reports "There appears to be 1 or more unrecoverable errors" and stops at 25%. Scandisk will go through the entire drive and seems to be deleting or correcting FAT records.

FreeUndelete scanned the entire drive but only found a handful of useless files deleted in 2001.

In the Recovery Console I see the commands fixboot and fixmbr. Would one of these work?

Is there anything else I can try?