Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP! Microsoft Word question Deperate!

• Please log in to reply

Trice

Trice

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I was typing a 47 page report. I was shifting some things around, and a piece of my report somehow got lost/deleted. :blink: I periodically saved this report using Save As throughout the past 2 days I was working on it. Not knowing I had a piece missing, after typing new stuff I would do Save As and keep overwriting it. Is there any way I can recover the older versions of the file I made so I can get that piece back to print? I cannot simply retype it. It was a dictation, and the tape is now erased :whistling: Please tell me it's not hopeless! I feel like I am going to throw up :help: [/font]

Advertisements

Octagonal

Octagonal

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
Hello Trice,

Did you do the Save As as the original filename and location on every save? If so, things don't look too good. The file would have been overwritten several times and I honestly don't think that the lost/deleted portion can be recovered.

Let me know if you used a different filename or location for the save.

Trice

Trice

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I kept using "Save As" and the same file name each time.
Guess it doesn't look so good as you said.

Edited by Trice, 26 June 2006 - 06:08 AM.

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
I had the same problem when I overwrote a file in Microsoft Word with the same file name. I, too, was desperate to get the old file back. I used a program called Recover My Files. It wouldn't let me "undelete" my file per se, but it found a fragment of my old file which it let me open in a text editor. I then cut and pasted that into Word, and re-added my formatting.

hope this helps...

Trice

Trice

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks. I will keep that in mind. I had to turn my stuff in today without it. Oh, well. That part someone will have to re-dictate for a new report. I'll also know to check these things BEFORE erasing the tapes. Lesson learned, right? One I will never make again!