Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problems on reboot, possibly video card?

• Please log in to reply

Silvrize

Silvrize

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
I have recently come into a little problem. everytime I go to reboot or the power is turned off my machine will start but the monitor remains black. I have found that if I keep repeatedly rebooting eventually it comes back on but I do not know why. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. :whistling:

Advertisements

Silvrize

Silvrize

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Here are my machine specs.

Mainboard : Asus <P4T-E>
Chipset : Intel i850
Processor : Intel Pentium 4 @ 1700 MHz
Physical Memory : 256 MB (2 x 0 RDRAM )
Video Card : Nvidia Corp GeForce2 MX 100/200 (DDR) [NV11DDR]
Hard Disk : ST380013A (80 GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : DM166D DVD-ROM
CD-Rom Drive : HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8160B
Monitor Type : 17 TFTLCD MNT - 15 inchs
Network Card : Realtek Semiconductor RT8139 (A/B/C/810x/813x/C+) Fast Ethernet Adapter
Network Card : ADMtek AN983 FastNIC PCI 10/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter
Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Professionnal 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2
DirectX : Version 9.0c

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Hi Silvrize. I suspect a power supply problem, but this could also be caused by a bad peripheral.

First make sure that all USB & Firewire devices are unplugged. Remove any PCI modem or network cards from the motherboard. Pull off the data cable going to the optical drive(s). Does your system now boot reliably ?

If yes, than reconnect the peripherals one by one until the system fails to boot properly

If no then when the system does boot download and run Speedfan. Make sure the +3.3V, +5V and +12V outputs are within +/- 5% of their nominal value.

+3.3: 3.135V to 3.465v
+5: 4.75V to 5.25V
+12: 11.4V to 12.6V

The power supply may just be intermittent and need to be replaced.
The graphics card may be intermittent and need to be replaced.
The motherboard may be intermittent and need to be replaced.

I don't know how you can test for intermittent operation other than by replacing components.