Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

partitions altering

• Please log in to reply

okeee

okeee

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
I have changed 'unallocated' into a ntfs partition, and I wanted to merge with another partition. When I chose option merge partitions, I couldn't couldn't, as a message stated that there are no partitions on the hard disk that can be merged. I use Partition Magic. Both partitions are ntfs. The partition I try to merge haven't got win xp installed on it, the partitions are on another hard disk. When I try to resize, the maximum size is only as big as the size of the partition.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
When using partition magic it will not merge partitions that are compressed or that contain OSes. When you merge two NTFS (NT file system) partitions, they must have the same version type and cluster size. Also merging partitions is a lengthy process that can take several hours.

I do not like merging partitions. It can cause many different kinds of problems. I would rather spend a day making a clean install and adding what i want instead of doing a merge and spending many days trying to fix the problems. Maybe others don't have problems with partitioning programs but i do not seem to have any luck with them.

SRX660

HaraldR

HaraldR

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
Partitions to be merged need to be beside each other and on same disk,you can not have a partition in between them.
It would be wiser to move any files from the partition you wish to merge to the partition you wish to keep and then ,delete that partition and then re-size the partition you wish to keep.

okeee

okeee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
When I try to resize, the maximum size is only as big as the size of the partition, I can't include the other partition.

HaraldR

HaraldR

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
You have to delete the partition you want to include in resize first

okeee

okeee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
I already deleted it and it was unallocated.