Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics Card Question

• Please log in to reply

Draven

Draven

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ok when I bought my computer about 6 years ago I went standard no big investment into gaming. Like many now I love to play every game I can get my hands on. I have been addicted to Diablo II and LOTR middle earth for the last year or so and my graphics card worked very well for those so I neglected buying another one. However I bought Fable LC over the weekend and my card will not work for it, I have a DELL 2350 with Nvidia Geforce MX 4000 plus 128 mb ddr pci. Everyone keeps telling me to get a Geforce 6600 or 6800 but the ones I found online all say PCI-E. I know it means pci express but can I use it on my pc or do they make a suitable alternative anyone can suggest for my problem.

Advertisements

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
A PCI-E will not work on your PCI

They are two completely seperate interfaces and you will be just left with a hunk of expensive metal that you will only get to look at and never use

I would def. suggest a new system (build one yourself- much cheaper :whistling:) which you can customize to play any game out on the market

Draven

Draven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
New system yeah knew that was an option but can not really afford to do that at this point if I could I wouldn't be asking this question I am looking for a solution for This Machine.

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
They do offer some PCI graphics cards- try browsing on www.newegg.com and in the advanced search options - choose the PCI interface - browse for something with atleast 128 mb memory

Post back here if you find someones that you might be considering :whistling:

Edited by soxrok, 26 June 2006 - 04:36 PM.

Draven

Draven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

They do offer some PCI graphics cards- try browsing on www.newegg.com and in the advanced search options - choose the PCI interface - browse for something with atleast 128 mb memory

Post back here if you find someones that you might be considering :blink:

:whistling: will do thank you for the help

Draven

Draven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I was looking at these.
never mind just noticed they were all agp

Is there any affordable way to upgrade my card solts to take PCI-E? I am thinking that woulf take a new MB but just thought I would ask.

Edited by Draven, 27 June 2006 - 01:39 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I was looking at these.
never mind just noticed they were all agp

Is there any affordable way to upgrade my card solts to take PCI-E? I am thinking that woulf take a new MB but just thought I would ask.

You cant upgrade the slots on a mobo..

You have to buy a new motherboard with the correct video card slot..

Make shure you get the correct motherboard that supports your current cpu socket also unless you feel like upgrading your cpu aswell...

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
looks like you got it right unfortunately- you would need a new motherboard- that would be your best bet!

Draven

Draven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Is it just really hard to find graphics cards that are just plan pci and not pci-e i have looked over newegg and can not find many if any over 64mb even at 64mb i am only finding 2 or three

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
Hmm that's what I was afraid of- did you get to google anything either for PCI cards?

Do you have a link to the cards you saw- the 64 mb ones?

Draven

Draven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
PCI Cards

I think I found what I am looking for just wanted to make sure these are the right ones. This card is the one I am thinking about getting good choice?

# CHAINTECH P-FX20 256MB Geforce FX5200 256MB DDR PCI Video Card - Retail
Chipset Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Core clock: 250MHz
D-SUB: 1
DirectX: DirectX 9
DVI: 1
Memory Clock: 332MHz
Memory Interface: 128-bit
OpenGL: OpenGL 1.4
PixelPipelines: 4
TV-Out: S-Video Out
# Model #: P-FX20 256MB

GeForce5200

Edited by Draven, 28 June 2006 - 08:36 AM.

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
well it would def. work in your PC- looks like it has some great reviews as well- I think you have the green light to order it and give it a try

If you do go through with this card- come back and let us know how it went- I would love to hear back to make sure everything went smooth!

Draven

Draven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
OK will do thanks again for your help.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The problem with PCI is that its to slow for gfx cards, thats why they made AGP its almost as old as PCI and was designed for gfx cards as they need a large data transfer rate and of course more power than a PCI card.

The best PCI card is a FX5500, newegg had them. The problem with the PCI cards is that they are all old and slow and really not that much better than what you have, a 5200 will really really strugle to play Fable even really powerful cards have a hard time with it, it will look nothing like it should.

And if the rest of your system is as old as you say it is it really will be a struggle to get Fable to play.

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
as said above- i agree with a new computer- but it looks like you are trying to fit a budget- so the 5200 would be a good choice- but yes it should be said that it wont give you much juice at all and i would be surprised if you got some of those games to work not to mention the heat it would give off!