Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WIN98SE quirks- Drive A and cdrom boot

• Please log in to reply

Janis

Janis

• PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
I use Win98se on a regular basis and I have never seen this on other computers. The one donated will not boot from the cdrom even though it is set to do so as the first boot device in BIOS. The cdrom works and BIOS sees it. ??? Drive A is set as the second boot device and does work but if I have the boot disk in A and reboot, it hangs at verifying DMI Data. The drive A always attempts access whenever you click on any program in explorer or the desktop. I need to boot from either the cdrom or A in order to format this drive and install one of our legal OS'es. Any ideas?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I have found that some older computers will not boot from a cdrom even tho windows 98 is a bootable cd. The easist thing to do is set the bios to boot from the floppy first and save the changes. Then use a win 98 boot floppy to get to the A prompt. The put a win 98 cd in the cdrom drive and type in X:\setup( x will be the cdrom drive letter) and windows should start installing. When you use a boot floppy pay attention to the drive letter assigned to the cdrom drive. You will need to know that drive letter to type in the command in dos to srtart the installation.

You can get a win 98 boot floppy here.

http://www.onecomput...ll/floppies.htm

go down 3/4 of the page to download the exe file that will make a good win98SE boot floppy. Read the page carefully because this boot floppy is not like a microsoft boot floppy. It does NOT create a ram drive like the microsoft one does, so the cdrom drive letter will be different.

SRX660

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The other thing to take note of is the type of disk you're using.

The Windows 98 OEM CDs ARE bootable (subject to the computer being able to boot off a CD), but the upgrade CDs are NOT bootable. Therefore if you are using an upgrade disk to try and install 98, you will have to use the floppy method.