Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mobo Fan Problem

• Please log in to reply

Scrilla

Scrilla

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
I was wondering, recently my system has become very LOUD, so i decided to look around and find out who the culprit was. It turns out a small fan thats just attached to my mobo (attached and surrounded by a bit of metal). Anyway I unplugged the fan from the mobo and of course that stops the noise seing how I stopped the fan. I kinda tried to figure out how to get in there but didnt wanna screw anything up. btw I'm using an Epox mobo that has been discontinued.

Help Please,
Scrilla

Edited by Scrilla, 26 June 2006 - 05:27 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I hope that the fan you disconnected is just a chipset fan and not the processor fan. I think you will know when the computer keeps shutting off or just quits one day as to why the fan was on there. Here is a place you can buy replacement fans for just about anything.

http://www.directron.com/40mmfans.html

and other fans if you need them.

http://www.directron.com/casefans.html

SRX660

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Whether it's a chipset fan or the processor fan, I still would NOT recommend leaving it unplugged. I would leave it plugged in and start looking for a replacement. The noise might be annoying, but not as annoying as your computer ceases to work because it got too hot and fried itself.

If you need help trying to find a replacement fan, then please post the Model # of your motherboard (even though it's discontinued, parts that work with it won't be) and we will see what we can find.

Fenor

Scrilla

Scrilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Ok cool I know its not the CPU Fan, im not totally retarded. I built this system myself. How would i go about replacing this chipset fan.

EDIT: Well after the post above i powered off/unplugged and tried poking at/lifting the metal cover to the tiny fan and got a few clumps of dust that even my Air duster couldnt get. The noise seemed to be gone, but after windows started loading it would go on and off. I think im going to try poking around a little more sure to not damage anything. As far as the Motherboard make/model: EPoX EP-8KDA3J Socket 754 NVIDIA nForce3 250Gb ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Edited by Scrilla, 28 June 2006 - 02:11 PM.