Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

old packard bell

• Please log in to reply

vinnywright

vinnywright

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
HI I just got a packard bell A950-6x6 SN P087017861 PN 890613 that the hard drive had ben repartitioned and formated on befor I got it. it's a 233Mhz 32MB box I'v instald win98 twice the first time the onbord sound and modem dident instal properley the second time the sound wus ok but still no working drivers for the modem but that wus ok sense it's not gowing online. However the display will onley render 8bit & 16bit color. Device manager ses the genaric VGA driver is working properley? I nead at least 256 color even simpel old games like tetres nead that. do you think I nead a more apropreat driver? help :whistling:

vinny

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I can dig out my P-B 1750 legend, or my S-606 and see what drivers are on those computers. They are a P-200 and P-233 computers so the drivers should be the same. The reason you cant get the sound card and modem to work is that P-B made a sound card that has the modem built into it. It takes special drivers to work. Lightning damaged the S-606's sound/modem card so i ended up installing separate cards in that computer. I will get back in a day or so. I need to find the computers in my garage warehouse. I will look up the video drivers also.

SRX660

HaraldR

HaraldR

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
The packard bell 233mhz was the legend 4233

I still have a full working system (original win95B)

the sound card will work on generic sb16 drivers you can install from win98

Visit DriverGuide to find drivers :whistling:

Display drivers are S3 Trio64V

modem drivers are forPackard Bell Rocky IV V.90

AT6800W-Europe or 6800WV90050

vinnywright

vinnywright

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
thanks :help: I got the S3 trio64v ( in the form of PBTV5.exe off driver guide ) however im not quite shure wut to do with it from hear. do I take it to the box it gos on and then extract it and folow the instructions on the txt.file in it or gust chang dispay driver and point it to PBTV5.exe? :blink: I know Iknow inexperenced newbe tisk tisk :whistling:
thanks vinny

HaraldR

HaraldR

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
Depending on the size of the file you can extract it to a floppy disk
if it is bigger than 1.44 mb extract it to a cd or put it in a folder on the Packard Bell.

On Packard Bell right click on desktop
choose properties from list
Settings tab
Advanced Properties
Adapter click change
if s3 is displayed choose: Have disk(floppy or CD/folder)
If not choose:Show all hardware devices and select s3/ Trio64V
then:Have disk and navigate(Browse) to CD/folder with drivers

Edited by HaraldR, 27 June 2006 - 09:08 PM.

vinnywright

vinnywright

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
thank you HaraldR I will try this and post back when we see if it works or not. my onley consern is if it's the rite diver set I wus told that A950-6x6 with 233proseser came in sevral configuations not all using the same drivers. I personaley dont know BUT were gona roll the dice and see what happens :whistling:
thank's again all VINNY