Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless troubles using WEP

• Please log in to reply

Venkman

Venkman

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My wireless setup includes a Linksys WAP11 and WPC11 Ver. 3.0 Network card(802.11b). I also have a Linksys BEFSR41 router. The desktop computer connected to the router and wap11 is running Win 2000. I have a HP notebook that uses the wireless connection. It has XP for home service pack 1 as its OS. I have not updated to SP2 yet because of fear of chaos using other programs. I have everything set to obtain IP addresses automatically. I am using the MAC address feature set for both machines MAC adresses and trying to use 128bit encryption using WEP. Everything is fine when WEP is disabled. But when I try to activate it using a key (passphrase) consisting of a combination of letters from A-F and numbers 1-9 13 characters long(using HEX Key) I cannot connect wirelessly. All these problems seemed to arise after I installed these latest Windows XP security updates. (KB873333, KB890830, KB888113, KB867282, KB891781, KB885250, KB890047 and KB888302.) I went back and uninstalled them but my problem still remains. Does any one have a clue as to what is actually going on here or have any remedies to fix it. Thanks in advance. I might also add I am broadcasting SSID. I can't connect without it. I have stop and started Windows Zero Configuration in XP but this does not help. Any help out there would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Advertisements

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
You should upgrade to Service Pack 2. It seems to have a better wireless support the Service Pack 1 and 1a. Most programs and hardware work with Service Pack 2 with no problem. If there is a problem make sure that the program/device has the lastest patches/drivers installed. Hope that this helps.

Venkman

Venkman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I was finally able to connect with WEP enabled. I made the access point static and double checked my WEP key. It then finally started working. Hopefully I can hold out on SP2 a little while longer. I know eventually Windows will require you to have it. Thanks to DHOOPER for the response.