Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Pro FAX service failure

• Please log in to reply

roadagent

roadagent

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi,

I have been successfully using the FAX wizard to send INTERNATIONAL faxes for more than a year. I wanted to send a fax today and it went into the normal dialing the number and then after about a minute it gave the error message to the effect "FAX failed" and then tries to redial and send again. I tried several times to do this but to no avail. I dialed the international fax number myself and got the fax tone just to make sure the fax machine was turned on and it was. I picked up the telephone receiver after the wizard dialed the number and I could hear the fax tone from the machine. It appears that my end is just NOT answering or responding to the tone???

I uninstalled and re-installed the fax service but still cannot send an international fax. I am in the Philippines and am trying to call a fax number in the USA. I always call this same number. I have done this about 20 times successfully in the past and nothing "obvious" has changed on my system. I am able to send a fax to a local number here without any problems so I am at a loss as to why the international fax fails. My best guess is that my end is not detecting the fax signal on an international call but yet it can when I make a local fax connection. Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Advertisements

HaraldR

HaraldR

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
It is likely the phone company has adopted call compression on international voice calls,particularly budget services with cheap call rates,the call bandwidth is below what a fax needs to succesfully operate.

If so they should have a specific fax call prefix to overcome this problem obviously at higher rates.

Given a fax call is extremely short 1-2 min the extra cost is not great.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
A stab in the dark here: 1) Have you tried to see if a fax initiated in the USA to you is received ok and that you just have a send problem? 2) Possibly temporarily download and use one of the free fax programs and see if you have the same problem? 3) Looked into fax modem driver update/problem? 4) Ring cadence set correctly for receiving faxes internationally (not sure this is an optional setting any more). 5) Disabled high-speed transmission and error correction mode (fax modem via Control Panel)? 6) Reduced the size of the transmit and receive buffers (fax modem via Control Panel)? I would try each, one at a time, restoring to original settings between tries.

Even tho local faxes work, you might ask your local phone company to check line noise.

I don't use Fax Wizard but it may be able to keep a trouble log for you and provide a printout to help locate the problem.

Ran out of questions here. Definitely hit a blank wall. :whistling:

Ron