Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Daisy Chaining Device Drives

• Please log in to reply

lefty

lefty

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I just bought a 74GB WD 10k RPM hard drive, and want it to be my primary drive now. I'd like to know the best way to connect all of my devices. Here's what I've got:

74 GB hard drive (10k RPM)
120 GB hard drive (8MB cache)
120 GB hard drive (2MB cache)

DVD drive
CDRW drive

My motherboard has Dual Channel IDE ATA100/66/33 Support, but the 74GB drive I just bought is Serial ATA. Not sure if it will even connect to the motherboard.

I bought a PCI expansion for 2 more Dual Channel IDE ATA100/66/33 connections.

How should I daisy chain these all together?

Here is what I was thinking:

ribbon1: motherboard > 74GB > DVD
ribbon2: motherboard > 120MB (8MB cache) > CDRW
ribbon3: PCI expansion > 120MB

I better go find out if this 74GB is even compatible with my Asus P4T-E motherboard!

Thanks for any help

Advertisements

hrdwrjnkie

hrdwrjnkie

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
That 74GB 10K drive from Western Digital is a SATA drive, so no chaining should be neccessary. You have an almost identical setup as my gaming PC.

I have two Lite-On DVD Burners, two WD1200 120GB Hard Drives, and a WD7400 Raptor. The Raptor plugs into the Motherboards SATA bus, the Two Lite-ons in the Secondary IDE Channel, and the Two 120s in the Primary Channel.

Evening_Death

Evening_Death

• Pip
  • 7 posts
The HDD you have there wont connect to IDE ... just SATA (Serial Advanced Technology Architecture).. i should know because i have the 36Gb version :tazz:... nice hard drives though!