Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Everything on my desktop disappear, everything

• Please log in to reply

jkklau

jkklau

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
:whistling: :blink:

Hi, everything on my desktop disappear except for the wallpaper.

The only way I could access is to hit Ctrl Alt Delete, then I could run program from the task manager.

Please help....

Thanks and regards. :help:

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
When did this start? Do you have virus and Spyware protection? Have you made any changes to your system recently?

jkklau

jkklau

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

When did this start? Do you have virus and Spyware protection? Have you made any changes to your system recently?

i tried to install IE7 Beta2..sigh.

does anyone know where is the Uninstall Program? It use to be on the My computer, but i cannot access it. So I have to search for that program.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What happens if you start the explorer manually? Bring up Task Manager, click on "FIle" and choose "New Task". In the "Run" field, type explorer.exe and click "Ok". Does your desktop appear?

jkklau

jkklau

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

What happens if you start the explorer manually? Bring up Task Manager, click on "FIle" and choose "New Task". In the "Run" field, type explorer.exe and click "Ok". Does your desktop appear?

hi,

thanks for quick reply.

i can open it IE manually, but my desktop is still missing.

btw, where is the directory for the Control Panel?

Edited by jkklau, 27 June 2006 - 08:25 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's see if we can get rid of the botched install of IE7.

Bring up Task Manager, choose "New Task" from the "File" menu, type restore in the "Run" field, and click "Ok". In the window that opens, double click on the rstrui.exe icon...this should start the System Restore applet. Restore your computer to a date before you started having problems.

To open Control Panel, you can type control in the run field and lcik "Ok".

Let us know if this helps....

jkklau

jkklau

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Let's see if we can get rid of the botched install of IE7.

Bring up Task Manager, choose "New Task" from the "File" menu, type restore in the "Run" field, and click "Ok". In the window that opens, double click on the rstrui.exe icon...this should start the System Restore applet. Restore your computer to a date before you started having problems.

To open Control Panel, you can type control in the run field and lcik "Ok".

Let us know if this helps....

it seems that I cannot 'run' any program from the task manager. The errror message comes out...

'problem with explorer.exe .......'

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It sounds like something has changed the .exe file association. Try two commands from Task Manager to verify this.

From Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del), click "File" and choose "New Task". Type cmd in the run box and press "Enter". Does this bring up the command window? If no, try cmd.exe and press "Enter"...how about now.

If the second command does bring up the window. We'll need to try to get to the Registry Editor using Windows Explorer...From Task Manager/New Task, type explorer.exe and press "Enter". Does Windows Explorer open?

If yes, in the left pane, navigate to C:\WINDOWS\system32 (click on System32), locate and double click on the regedt32.exe icon. This should open the Registry Editor.

If the Registry Editor opens, back up the registry by following the instructions in blue below, then, in the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SOFTWARE, then Microsoft, then Windows NT, then CurrentVersion, and click on Winlogon.

In the right pane, scroll down to Shell. If the value (under the Data column) is not Explorer.exe, double click on Shell, type Explorer.exe in the Value Data field, and click "Ok".

Close all open windows and reboot.

Do your programs now open?

In Registry Editor, right click on "My Computer" in the left pane and select "Export" from the menu. Save this to the Desktop and name it [b]regbu]/b].

wannabe1

jkklau

jkklau

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

It sounds like something has changed the .exe file association. Try two commands from Task Manager to verify this.

From Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del), click "File" and choose "New Task". Type cmd in the run box and press "Enter". Does this bring up the command window? If no, try cmd.exe and press "Enter"...how about now.

If the second command does bring up the window. We'll need to try to get to the Registry Editor using Windows Explorer...From Task Manager/New Task, type explorer.exe and press "Enter". Does Windows Explorer open?

If yes, in the left pane, navigate to C:\WINDOWS\system32 (click on System32), locate and double click on the regedt32.exe icon. This should open the Registry Editor.

If the Registry Editor opens, back up the registry by following the instructions in blue below, then, in the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SOFTWARE, then Microsoft, then Windows NT, then CurrentVersion, and click on Winlogon.

In the right pane, scroll down to Shell. If the value (under the Data column) is not Explorer.exe, double click on Shell, type Explorer.exe in the Value Data field, and click "Ok".

Close all open windows and reboot.

Do your programs now open?

In Registry Editor, right click on "My Computer" in the left pane and select "Export" from the menu. Save this to the Desktop and name it [b]regbu]/b].

wannabe1

1. command window is open
2. followed your instructions, and when i reach the Shell, the Explorer.exe is already in the Value Data Field.
3. reboot computer.
4. desktop still empty. it seems the Explorer.exe file is corrupted. how can i uninstall without using Control Panal?

Btw where is the Control Panel directroy in C drive? can't semmed to find it. Tks

Edited by jkklau, 27 June 2006 - 09:11 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The Control Panel applet is located at C:\Windows\system32 and is named Control.exe.

In Registry Editor, expand HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and click on .exe

The values in the right pane for this key should be as follows:

(Default) = exefile

Content Type = application/x-msdownload

Let me know what you find...