Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Any recommendations for a CPU fan replacement?

• Please log in to reply

udon

udon

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Guys,

I bought my computer last January, hoping that I wouldn't need to invest any more money on it until 2-3 years later, but I guessed wrong. Here's my computer specs:

Intel P4 640 3.2 2MB cache
Gigabyte GA-8I945P-G motherboard
1024MB ddr2 Kingmax
Sapphire x1600xt 256MB ddr3
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
Maxtor 200GB sata
LG gsa4163b dvd burner
Antec Sonata 2

running on Windows XP PRO

After spending numerous hours playing Battlefield 2, I am annoyed by the sound of my stock cpu fan. :whistling: Not only that, I find the temperature of my cpu is quite high. When I'm idling, the cpu temperature ranges from 39-42 Celsius, but when gaming, it jumps to 50 Celsius. What's a good cpu fan that can help lower my cpu temp and help reduce the temperature?

I currently have 2 system fans, one sucking in air in the front, and one sucking out air in the back. My case is Antec sonata 2, so my space is quite limited in terms of a cpu fan replacement.

Thanks,

Andrew

Edited by udon, 27 June 2006 - 08:27 AM.

Advertisements

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
I would probably go with a Thermaltake, Zalman, or Arctic Cooling fan. This Thermaltake is one of the best out there, but it is large and expensive. I was looking at this a while ago. It is also pretty large, but less expensive.

Here's the search I did on Newegg. Sort the list by reviews to see the most popular ones. Newegg only ships to the US, so if you aren't in the US you may need to find another place to get them. I just use it to show what fans are out there and how popular they are.

Edit: You may want to get some Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound and possibly some compound remover (here). I have both and they work very well.

Edited by Pi rules, 27 June 2006 - 12:06 PM.

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
ZALMAN CNPS7000B-AlCu Pricey and large, but very, very good.

Thermaltake SILENT 775 CL-P0092

GIGABYTE GH-PCU22-VG This one is very well liked.

GIGABYTE G-Power GH-PDU21-SC Another well liked model.
-------------------
Edit:
Arctic Silver 5 is the best thermal paste out there. But, don't waste your money on any thermal paste cleaner: simply use rubbing alcohol and a soft cloth.

Edited by WinCrazy, 27 June 2006 - 04:52 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Im running a thermotake blue orb II on my intel cedar mills 631 processor in a Aspire X Q-pack case. Friends told me its too heavy, too big, and doesnt cool as well as the heatpipe coolers. I am very happy with the blue orb as it is whisper quiet and the cpu runs 5° cooler than with the stock intel HS.

http://www.directron.com/clp0257.html

SRX660

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
thoose temps are not hot at all i dont think you have anythign to worry about.

but if your worried and annoyed with the noise then go for the blue orb they are really quiet and are great coolers.

troppo

udon

udon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for your recommendations guys.

I was told that Thermotake's cpu fans tend to be quite loud, so I didnt even considered in looking into one. The cpu fan I'm currently looking at is the ZALMAN CNPS7000B-AlCu, I read a lot of reviews and so far everyone is recommending this one. I don't knoe if it will fit into my case, does anyone have this fan and the Sonata 2 case?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I think it would be allright in that case, cases are rarely a problem unless you are using the CPU sleeve(your model might not have it and hardly anyone uses it). You might need to tale it off but they are designed to come off.

Zalman means quality cant go wrong with a Zalman. Your temps seem allright for that CPU.