Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

three seperate netowork problems. frustrated!

• Please log in to reply

Dragon306

Dragon306

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
problem 1: my mom's brand new HP pavilion's wireless adapter is acting very flakey. it wont see anything in the availible network list even ones that arent hidden or encrypted dont show up. it wont add a network to the preferred list unless you add it then restart the computer because before restart the new entry doesnt appear. what gives??

problem 2: my laptop's Compusa/ZyDas USB 802.11b/g wireless adapter has a very [pathetic range compared to what it should. for example, in a place where my dad's dell with biult-in wireless will connect with good signal strength my adpater wont even see the network. and when it will, the signal/link quality is often so low i cant browse the wbe or doing so is painfully slow. is this because it is on a USB 1.1 port?? does it have something to do with the "fragmentation threshold" and "rts/cts threshold" settings in the zydas configuration tool?? or is it just a very crappy adapter??

problem 3: none of the computers in my home network can browse eachother. file and print sharing is enabled on all of them, they are on the same workgroup, etc. and they all are logged in with the same user name account (administartor). but they each give errors to the effect of not having privilages to access the network when i try to browse the workgroup from any of them. what is up with this??

problem 4: not really a problem just a question. when one updates or uninstalls network adapters it leaves behind unused windows network connections. usually they become hidden but are still there because when you make a new on windows names it with a new number (i.e. network connection 3, network connection 4, etc). is there any way to delete/remove/uninstall these old and unused networks, whether or not they are "hidden"???

Advertisements