Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Latitude laptop CMOS battery

• Please log in to reply

trctech

trctech

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am working on a batch of Dell Latitude laptops that have an administrators password. I have been told to bypass the administrators password that I have two options. The first is to remove the CMOS battery for 10 minutes. The second is to adjust the CMOS reset jumpers on the motherboard. How can I locate the battery or the jumpers?

Thanks,

TRCTECH

Advertisements

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
An Administrator password in XP can not be bypassed by resetting the BIOS.

If the BIOS has a password then it will probably be able to be reset this way.

Which kind of password do they have ?

trctech

trctech

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
The laptop I am talking about is running Windows 98.

Thanks,

TRCTECH

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Good luck getting to the cmos battery. It is located on top of the hard drive enclosure right next to the battery and the plug is right behind where the battery connects to the motherboard. I had to pull the the keyboard, then the whole top cover off to get to it. This was on a CPI-A model PPL pentium 266 latitude. Maybe if yours is newer its easier but i doubt it. Jumpers? what jumpers? If they have them i certainly could not find any. I never did put this one back together. I just used it for parts for others. I just wanted to strip one down completely to see how it went together.

All i can say is you might look at this.

http://www.bios-driv...rs/61/61224.htm

SRX660