Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop with EXTREAM Problems....

• Please log in to reply

darkstar225

darkstar225

• PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
ok, well, my laptop has a bunch of problems..... but first i will explain the major one first...

when i turn on my Dell Latitude CPX, after the Dell load, it takes me to an error saying this:

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully, & recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose last known good configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previour startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the power or reset button was pressed, or if u aren't sure wat cause the problem, choose Start Windows Normally.

But it never did any of those, so then i selected Start Windows Normally, and i got this......

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

Regestry_ERROR

If this is the first you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, fallow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software, disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If your need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x00000051 (0x00000004, 0x00000001, 0xE101A5A8, 0x00003020)

Also, i've seen that second error befor, because my laptop is literally retarded. when it would get bumped or moved slightly, it would like, "crash" to that error screen. so thats 1 of the other problems.

another one is my keys on my keyboard don't give what i press. when i press 8, i would get star (and im not pressing shift), M would give me 0... i would give more examples, but i can't get it on lol.

and the last 1 is that the screen is REALLY loose, and unless it's in the PERFECT spot, it either falls back or fowards.

so thats my problems, and if anyone could help me fix this i would be EXTREAMLY thankful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~ Johnny

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

another one is my keys on my keyboard don't give what i press. when i press 8, i would get star (and im not pressing shift), M would give me 0... i would give more examples, but i can't get it on lol.

This occurs because you have the NUMLOCK key activated, hit the NUMLOCK key again and when you hit the 'M' key it will now type an 'M.'

Fenor

darkstar225

darkstar225

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
ok cool, thank u. would u know how to fix the first problem? because untill that is fixed, i can't do anything. but thank u for that part, very much!!!

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Do you have your windows XP CD? If you do, I want you to put it in and turn on your computer. When you are given the message press any key to boot from cd..., press a key and Windows Setup will start. At the first screen where you have to enter input, hit R to enter the Recovery Console. Then you will have to hit 1 to log into your windows installation and then just hit Enter for the Administrator password because it is normally blank unless you changed it. Once you are at the command prompt C:\WINDOWS I want you to type chkdsk /p /r. This will run a VERY THOROUGH check of both your hard drive and also your windows installation files and replace any that are missing/corrupt. Once it's done, type Exit and take out your Windows XP cd. Your computer will reboot itself.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 27 June 2006 - 07:07 PM.

darkstar225

darkstar225

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
yea, i don't have the Windows XP Cd... i got this laptop used, and i didn't get a cd with it, is there a way that i can get 1 online and burn it onto a disk so that i can do as u asked?

oh, juss curious, after i do this, will i loose anything, like files and pic.s, ect.?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Step 1

If you do not have a Windows XP CD, do the following

download RC.iso from the following link:

http://www.thecomput...edic.com/rc.iso

You need to burn this image to a CD and boot your computer with it--this is different than burning a file to a CD. If you do not know how to burn an ISO image, then download the following program to another Windows XP machine, install it.

make certain you download the proper installation for your version of windows. Open MY COMPUTER, choose HELP > ABOUT. Note the service pack and get the appropriate version of the iso burner power toy

http://isorecorder.a...isorecorder.htm

After installation, reboot, then right click the RC.iso file you downloaded above and choose COPY IMAGE TO CD.

Then reboot your broken PC with that CD in the CD-ROM drive.

This will give you a recovery console to use to run

Insert the cd into the non-functioning PC

STEP 2

When boot begins, a windows setup will appear to start, but you will be taken to a recovery console.

You will need to select your windows installation by pressing a number, most likely 1

Windows will ask you for a password

If you have XP home, press enter...there is no password

If you have XP Pro, you need to enter the password you set when you installed your machine with XP Pro.

After entering the password, you will find yourself at a command prompt that looks like this

c:\windows

type
chkdsk /r
<enter>

follow the prompts, then when it is complete, remove the CD

type

EXIT

<enter>

the machine will reboot

Did that fix it?

darkstar225

darkstar225

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
ok, i fallowed ur instructions on how to make the CD, but after rebooted, i right clicked on the file and chose Copy Image To CD, but there is no recorder there and none that i can choose...... help....?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
this a simple ISO burner...burncdcc...its free

http://www.snapfiles...t/burncdcc.html

the how to is in the readme.txt when you extract the zip

Edited by happyrck, 27 June 2006 - 08:44 PM.

darkstar225

darkstar225

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
*sigh*...... it still didn't work, after the dell load, it went back to the first error, and then when i clicked start normally and i got the same error again...... any ideas?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You need to go into the computers BIOS/SETUP and change the boot order to boot from cd BEFORE the hard drive.

Fenor

Advertisements

darkstar225

darkstar225

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
ok, well, 1, how do i do that, and 2, if it invalves the laptop that has the problems, i won't be able to do it because it doesn't load windows.......

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Yes it involves the laptop, and Yes you will be able to get into the BIOS/SETUP because you do not need to be in Windows to access it. To Access it, turn on the laptop and immediately start hitting F2 about once a second until you enter SETUP. Once there you need to look for BOOT ORDER and change it so that it boots from the CD-ROM before the Hard drive.

Make sure you SAVE CHANGES before exiting SETUP.

Then try what I suggested you do in Post #2.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 27 June 2006 - 09:26 PM.

darkstar225

darkstar225

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
ok, i did that, and it rebooted itself, but it gave me both errors again...... :/ ... any ideas....?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Use the recovery cd you downloaded above

At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following

cd system32\config
<enter>
ren system system.old
<enter>
ren software software.old
<enter>
ren SAM SAM.old
<enter>
ren security security.old
<enter>
ren default default.old
<enter>
cd \
<enter>
cd windows\repair
<enter>
copy system C:\windows\system32\config\system
<enter>
copy software C:\windows\system32\config\software
<enter>
copy sam C:\windows\system32\config\sam
<enter>
copy security C:\windows\system32\config\security
<enter>
copy default C:\windows\system32\config\default
<enter>
exit
<enter>
restart the computer

darkstar225

darkstar225

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
ok, i did as u asked, but i think i might have made a boo-boo...... when i was putting in the commands, when i was supposed to put in "copy sam C:\windows\system32\config\sam" i slipped and pressed enter when all i had was "copy sam C:\windows\system32" ....... it now goes from the first error, and i select Start Windows Normally, so it loads windows, but then after it loads, the screen just goes black........ :* i think i made a BIG boo-boo .....