Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

faster,faster,faster!

• Please log in to reply

notmobile

notmobile

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Where to begin??
Oh well hear goes just recently i had a bit of a clean up sesh on my pc, i had it all working great i was really happy with it. I was then told by a usually very reliable source to go to microsofts home page and run a program on there wich checks and fixs any problems on the computer!!

Guess What!

You guessed it, it did completely the opposite i got a virus from it (wich i sorted) and my computer now runs like a great big pile of PooP, also every time access the internet through internet explorer aol opens. duh stupid computers!!

Ive tried system restore but it wont let me restore (ahhhhhhhh!!) as you can imagine im pulling my hair out so i have now come to the conclusion that i want to completely strip my computer back down to the bare basics BUT and its a Big BUT!! :whistling: i recently broke my mp3 player and guess wher all my music is stored whilst its off for repair!! On the pc i also need to keep on the computer programs that i use but i can imagine that there is loads of rubbish on it that i dont use as it was given to me last year by my gran of all people.

Im running on xp with sp1 and sp2 installed and all the usual updates for it.
There is an intel P4 inside it and a nvidia fx5200 and 256mb ram oh yeh thats another thing it only registers 128mb but there is two of these cards in.

If anyone can help it would be fantastic.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
To check the virus has been removed

Please follow the procedures outlined here: Malware Removal Guide

You will need a PC which can connect to the internet

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, please ask for advice in the Malware Forum

notmobile

notmobile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Ive done that and im shore that it has been remove.
so i know that its not malware or spyware that is slowing it down i think its somekind of registry problem or a program conflictin but i dont know how fix it or even wher to start.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can run through this, however, if there is malware on the PC, it will prevent any worthwhile improvements

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

If the internet connection is slow, also run this

http://www.snapfiles...nsockxpfix.html

notmobile

notmobile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Ok hear goes i runrthrough everything you told me right up to this chkdsk /f / and i just could not get windows to run i tried safe mode loading from disk but it asked for a administrater passwor wich i dont know as my nan passed away. so in the end i had to boot from last known good config and im now back to square 1 (aahhhhhhhhhhhh) its doin my nut in. after the first 2 process the computer seemed to be picking up a bit unless i was imagening it. then ba da boom ba da bing im wright back wher i started.
I tell ya i sooo whish id learnt it at school instead of bloody woodworking .

Edited by notmobile, 28 June 2006 - 06:35 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you retry chkdsk /f /r when you press enter, you get another box, type Y and press enter then reboot, it will take an hour for it to load to the desktop, do not disturb it

If an administratot password wasn't set, leave the box blank and press enter

notmobile

notmobile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Ive already done that bit (sorry dont meen to sound rude) and that bit went fine it did all its system checks and took forever i managed to clean all the windows the bathroom and do the washin up before it finished so i had a brew and sat and waited, it was when that bit was complete and it tried to boot up to desktop it says somethin among the lines of windows did not load succesfully and must be restarted :whistling: so i did and it then froze so i tried to boot into safe mode coz it was trying to do the checks again and crashing.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you can get it to safe mode

Click start then run, type cmd then press enter

At the command prompt type fsutil dirty query c: (or the relevant drive letter). This queries the drive, and more than likely it will tell you that it is dirty.

Next type CHKNTFS /X C: The X tells Windows not to check that particular drive on the next reboot.

Reboot, it should load to the desktop

Once Windows has loaded bring up another CMD prompt and type Chkdsk /f /r c:

This should take you through the 5 stages of the scan and will unset the dirty bit.

At a command prompt, type fsutil dirty query c and Windows will confirm that the dirty bit is not set on that drive.

notmobile

notmobile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
er ok im not quit sure on this bit whats a cmd promp??Once Windows has loaded bring up another CMD prompt and type Chkdsk /f /r c:

Edited by notmobile, 28 June 2006 - 07:18 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type cmd and press enter, in a minute or so, you will get a flashing > type fsutil dirty query c: and press enter

When windows has loaded, click start then run type cmd and press enter, type Chkdsk /f /r c: and press enter

Advertisements

notmobile

notmobile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Aha ive cought up now. Cheers speak to you soon.

notmobile

notmobile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Ive done the first bit and it tells me that its not dirty do you still want me to contnue? this is what it said
volume - is NOT Dirty

C:\Documents and settings\Tony>

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run it through

You want it to run the check and load windows properly

notmobile

notmobile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Er The first run i did when it come up with its clean i wasnt in safe mode( my mistake ) so i tried again. This time making sure i rebooted into safe mode.
I hit start-run typed cmd hit enter and then it just froze. wouldnt let me do anythin so i had to hit the dredded reset button.

You guys must have some patience.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Go for chkdsk /r in any mode now

Tune Up should improve it