Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

faster,faster,faster!

• Please log in to reply

notmobile

notmobile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
it says The type of file is nfts.
cannot lock current drive.

chkdsk cannot run becaus the volume is in use by another process. would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts (y/n)
what should i do.

is this a defrag program that you are asking me to run coz i have disckeeper 10 running in the backgroundthis off.

Edited by notmobile, 28 June 2006 - 08:18 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Type Y and press enter then reboot and do some baking

notmobile

notmobile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
:whistling: ok thanks i hope this sorts it.
regards tony.

notmobile

notmobile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
:whistling: Its not looking good, I almost took your advice and started baking, but i thought better of it so sat down and watched a movie instead.
I kept checking on the pc to see how it was doing but i couldnt tell so i left it till the end of the movie, by this time the better half was home and wanted to go shoppin so we did, all in all i left it for about four hours and still nothin, it had got as far as the desktop but without any icons, so thought it might take a little longer than it should with my pc running as slow as it is.
I left it over night but still nothing there was a flicker of icons after about an hour and a half but that was as near as the icons have got.

Whats the next step

Regards Tony

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Press the ctrl + alt + delete keys together to get task manager, click file, new task, type explorer.exe and press enter, do you get the desktop now?

notmobile

notmobile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Just so you know im using the same pc that im trying to repair so i have to keep resetting it.
Ill go and give this a go and let you know how i get on. ill run through the process again and speak to you in abit.

Cheers Tony.

notmobile

notmobile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
No such luck the same thing happend again, but the task manager appears and then dissapears all in a split second, and then it wouldnt even let me boot into safe mode i had to go to last known good config,

[bleep] the further we get into this the more im thinkin im going to have to reinstall windows, wich i really really want to avoid.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you want to look at repairing XP to leave your programmes and files intact?

You could also consider repairing so you can back up the files youneed then comprehensively wipe the drive with boot and nuke, then re-install, this isn't essential but could solve a few things

notmobile

notmobile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Its probably best if i can repair it for the time being and then at a later date do a complete new install.
I have had a freind do this for me before but i dont think he did a great job i think he installed a second windows on drive c: Once i get my external hard drive i can copy the music onto it and i then have no worries about it.

Infact the music can be re gathred and sorted how about we go for a complete new reinstall. If you fell like running me through it.
Also is it possible to remove the other windows on disc c:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do this, apart from the click yes bit, just so you can see if there are two and post back if there are

Click Start > Run and type msconfig. Click OK.
Click on the BOOT.INI tab
Click on Check All Boot Paths.
If Windows finds a corrupt or additional install of XP, it will ask you if it's okay
to delete the entry for the unused/older/corrupt version. Click Yes/OK and then reboot

For the repair

You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the start button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need the XP product key to complete this

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

XP Repair Install

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

Advertisements

notmobile

notmobile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Well im back i had many problems as in it wouldnt repair!! so i bit the bullet and just reinstalled windows the only problem now is that i have now got two lots of windows on the pc (think i messed up somewhere) It doesnt seem to be causing any problems so is it worth trying to remove it or do i just leave it.

Also now im just about sorted i want to upgrade a few things, I assume that i need to post a new topic in another area do i???

Thanks for all your help.

Regards Tony.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can either remove the other version or if you haven't got too far in, format the drive and re-install

notmobile

notmobile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Ah format that rings a bell!!!!

When i was installing xp it come up with an option of wich partition do you want to install on,
It also gave the option to delete the partitions! so i deleted the smaller partition thinking this would give me my full drive c: space back.

I continued from this point and all went well so i, thought the installation said that it was formating disc c: (great) all running great. so when it was done and loaded i installed aol and downloaded some updates.
I then rebooted the pc and thats when it come up with choice of wich windows would you like to boot so i stook with the top one and as look would have it, it was the right one.

Anyway if its not causing any problems and you think it wont cause any then im quite happy to leave it as ive just spent the last day or so messing and downloading the updates.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click Start > Run and type msconfig. Click OK.
Click on the BOOT.INI tab
Click on Check All Boot Paths.
If Windows finds a corrupt or additional install of XP, it will ask you if it's okay
to delete the entry for the unused/older/corrupt version. Click Yes/OK and then reboot.

Make sure you choose the one you no longer need

notmobile

notmobile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Thankyou Very for all your help.
Ive sorted that out.

How are you on upgradeing and tuning or do i need to go to a different area and start a fresh log.
Regards tony.