Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD Drive issues

• Please log in to reply

khal

khal

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I checked out a thread on this site last night... to no avail.

Basically, I used to have an NEC ND-3550A dvd burner and a JLMS dvd-rom. For some reason, WinXP would not recognize the drives... for instance, putting a DVD or CD in the drives would do no good -- Windows would not bring up the "Autoplay" window selection thing at all. I tried the uninstall/reinstall from Device Manager, as well as updating the firmware on both drives, to no avail. I figured they were shot (the JLMS was a few years old, but the NEC was only 6 months old...), and just received 2 new drives from newegg last night: Samsung SH-S162L DVDRW and Sony DDU1615 DVD-Rom. Now, I installed these and was ready to roll but WINDOWS STILL DID NOT RECOGNIZE THE DRIVES! The thing is, I could finagle the PC to burn discs with my old burner -- I used Musicmatch's Burner Plus, and it was able to burn both audio CDs and data DVDs for backup --- now the Musicmatch does not even recognize the drives.

I am writing this before I go to work, but will check this thread at work to get some ideas.

I've been asked to try and change the IDE cables, but to no avail. I did an uninstall/reinstall as early as this morning... firmware was updated for the Samsung, but the Sony has this weird "GYS1" driver, and I wasn't able to flash it with a lot of the firmware progs used for that DVD drive.

Is there something with my WinXP that went askew? I hadn't installed or uninstalled any software around the time the initial drives went out (about 2 weeks ago), I just got on the PC and found this out when I was trying to work.

Any help would be most appreciated!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run this

http://www.geekstogo...ne-t109781.html

Then this

http://www.softwarep...xp-autorun.html

khal

khal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
nice up for the fast response! I'll definitely run these tonight... I'm not so sure if the CDGone is what I need, but that autorun thing looks good. I should definitely still run both?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Only autoplay if you can see the drives in explorer

khal

khal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Only autoplay if you can see the drives in explorer

OK I figured that. I can see the Drives no problem...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hope it goes well

khal

khal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
No dice... I tried the autorun and there was no change in my problem. Thanks for your effort...

any other suggestions?

MNOB07

MNOB07

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
I know you've mentioned that Windows will not see the drives, but does your BIOS see them?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Right click a drive, click properties, auto play, put the dot in select an action to perform, click apply, put the dot back in prompt me to choose, click restore defaults, click apply

khal

khal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Right click a drive, click properties, auto play, put the dot in select an action to perform, click apply, put the dot back in prompt me to choose, click restore defaults, click apply

no dice... :whistling:

khal

khal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I know you've mentioned that Windows will not see the drives, but does your BIOS see them?

I'm not sure I know what you mean... If I go into My Computer or Explorer, the drives show up... its not like they disappeared.. it's just that they do not respond when a disc (CD or DVD) are in there... and certain programs won't work... my Musicmatch Burner Plus does not recognize ANY drives for burning, but I used DVD X Copy Xpress last night and was able to copy a DVD...

MNOB07

MNOB07

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
I apologize, when I read the question it seemed to me that they weren't showing up anywhere.

khal

khal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
It's OK. Are there any new eyes that might know what to do?

khal

khal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
updates... nothing.

nothing changed when i flashed the bios... they do show up in the Disk Management screen though.

help///

Edited by khal, 29 June 2006 - 09:25 PM.

khal

khal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
just wanted to let you guys know I figured it out... it's been a long week! I narrowed it down to a buggy atapi.sys file or throwing the PC out of the window... in my hunt, someone told me about updating Roxio... which is a prog I have on my PC but never used. I updated easy cd creator 5 and voila! worked like a charm. i feel dumb now, but whatever. I wanted to thank you guys for all of your help though. interesting stuff... and I'll be adding this site to my blog links.

Edited by khal, 01 July 2006 - 09:43 AM.