Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Got a kangaroo problem?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
[quote name='http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060627/sc_nm/australia_dingo_dc']SYDNEY (Reuters) - Australian researchers say they have discovered a new repellent that can help with everything from rehabilitating old mine sites to reducing the amount of roadkill. It's dingo urine.

Researchers at Curtin University have been startled by the effectiveness of urine from Australia's wild dogs in scaring off kangaroos which chew through areas of new-growth vegetation.

The university's Michael Parsons said the discovery could have important applications in helping to re-establish plant life on old mine sites by repelling kangaroos, unique Australian marsupials which number in the tens of millions.

Researchers looked at the effectiveness of chemicals found in the urine of dingoes and non-native predators like coyotes.

"When we presented tame kangaroos with coyote urine, they became interested in the new smell, but when presented with the dingo urine they were startled and fled," Parsons said.

He told Reuters Tuesday that the effect of urine on wild kangaroos was even more dramatic.

Parsons's team is looking at ways of delivering the repellent effectively at mine sites and how much would be needed, as well as whether it could be used to reduce the number of collisions between kangaroos and vehicles on outback roads.

He said the university was also trying to isolate and synthesize the active chemicals in dingo urine so that it could be made in quantities large enough to be commercially viable.

For now, the university is receiving supplies of the real thing from Australia's Dingo Conservation Society, but he said how it is gathered is a tightly held secret.

"At one stage we fashioned a little urine catcher to walk dingoes and collect it from, but that tended to be risky," Parsons said.

[/quote]
it’s weird…but actually cool…I bet it would work an all kinds of “pests”….put out coyote pee to scare away moles…douse your house with wiccan urine to keep the Mormons out….spray your lawn with hippie pee to keep out the old folks......possibilities are endless

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
That's an interesting way to get rid of animals... :whistling: I imagine it being a bit smelly though...

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
For £10 i will urinate on your home to drive away religous people. According to my High School Art teacher i am a wicked spawn of satan.(she was very religous so she must know, i accidentally let slip that i didnt beleive in a certain mythical being).

That woman was crazy, but again £10 guaranteed to stop religous nuts knocking on your door.

PS, people with small children should not try and collect dingoe urine with their baby along.

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
*don77 thinks this is heading in the wrong direction,
Thinking best it be closed