Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Click to activate

• Please log in to reply

lademars

lademars

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Does anyone have a fix for "Click to activate and use this control?"

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Well, you can always turn that warning off and always accept, or always decline Active X controls. However, for security reasons, I don't recommend that you turn it off. If you really want to, I'd be happy to walk you through the process.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
go to your add n remove programs and remove this if you have it (KB912812).

it blocks activex

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
rushin....why would you NOT want to block activeX? you deffinitely want IE to be warning you about the activeX controlls...that's where most spyware comes in....is it really that big of a pain to have to click a button when you know what you're downloading is safe?

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
for me i wasnt able to download or install any thing it was a security that wouldnt allow me to even download from norton or java so i search ecah windows update and came across that one once i removed it i was able to down load i couldnt even install updates for certain programs but any way i did a my own risk and had no spyware problems

lademars

lademars

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

it blocks activex

I have tried this already but I get this message (The file 'plugin.ocx000' on Windows NT Service Pack Uninstall Directory is needed). I don't know what to do about it.

Edited by lademars, 28 June 2006 - 11:29 AM.

lademars

lademars

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

it blocks activex

I have tried this already but I get this message (The file 'plugin.ocx000' on Windows NT Service Pack Uninstall Directory is needed). I don't know what to do about it.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
have you checked your settings in your internet options

SECURITY
mine are
internet...low
local intranet...medium low
Trusted sites...low
Resticted sites...high
In the privacy tab its set at accept all cookies

These are custom settings so every time i went to a site it would ask if i would allow then put check mark in box not show it again . But check your settings maybe too high that does not allow active x

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi lademars...

You don't want to lessen the security...there's just too much crud out there just waiting for a chance to jump all over your machine. Best just to make sure you have the settings configured properly.

Open "Internet Options" from Control Panel. Under the "Security" tab, make sure the slider is set to Medium for the Internet Zone. Then configure this Zone (click the Custom Level... button), the Trusted Zone, and the Restricted Zone as shown in this GUIDE.

Let us know if these settings help...

wannabe1

lademars

lademars

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi lademars...

You don't want to lessen the security...there's just too much crud out there just waiting for a chance to jump all over your machine. Best just to make sure you have the settings configured properly.

Open "Internet Options" from Control Panel. Under the "Security" tab, make sure the slider is set to Medium for the Internet Zone. Then configure this Zone (click the Custom Level... button), the Trusted Zone, and the Restricted Zone as shown in this GUIDE.

Let us know if these settings help...

wannabe1

As far as I can see all my settings are just like the Guide.