Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP C:\ -- Vista E:\

• Please log in to reply

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
I have downloaded and put to DVD the new Windows Vista beta 2 and I wish to use this on my current PC. I have windows XP installed on my C:\ and wish to install Vista on my empty E:\, will this be possible and will it create problems with my Windows XP.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi CJIS...

The configuration you are looking at should work very well. Just pay attention during the install to make sure Vista installs to the proper directory (E:).

About the only thing installing Vista this way will "do" to XP is to add a line to the boot.ini file and give you the option at startup to select which operating system you want to boot to.

wannabe1

CJIS

CJIS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
OK thankyou

CJIS

CJIS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Works perfectly, but how would I remove Vista when I am done with it without destroying my XP partition, could I just format the Vista partition?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes...you will be able to just format the Vista partition to remove it if you want to be rid of it.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
just a point of clarification---adding Vista does MORE than add a line to your boot.ini

It actually writes a new boatloader

Yes, formatting the e: drive will remove vista as an OS, but leaves the boot loader

there are a couple of things you can do

first, when vista installed, it created a folder called c:\boot

inside, you will find several files, but the most important:

fixntfs
fixfat

after formatting the e:, to restore your old bootloader, you would open a command line and type

fixntfs -xp
or
fixfat -xp (if c: drive was formatted as fat)

Or, you can boot with the recovery console and type

fixboot c:

CJIS

CJIS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Thankyou

Caracas

Caracas

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
I found Vista beta 2 to be quite unstable... I'll wait until there is a better version

just a sidenote

greets

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
i did not find it to be unstable--but it was kind of "slow"

the post beta 2 release (5456) is smoother on my low end machine, but less stable in networking.