Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Freezing up after about 20 minutes

• Please log in to reply

melacina

melacina

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My CPU will run fine for awhile, I can read emails, go on the internet, but if I try to run SpyBot or any other kind of scan it appears to overheat I am posting screen shots from SpeedFan.
Had originally posted on another forum and was working with Computerwiz12890, below is the link to that post.

http://www.geekstogo...mp;#entry714836

Thanks for all the help.

Michelle

Attached Thumbnails

• speedfan.JPG
  • SMART.JPG

Advertisements

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
I see your fan is spinning at >3500 rpm, is that the stock fan? That is quite fast for a CPU fan. Is this screenshot after starting up, after doing something CPU-intensive, or what? 56 C is pretty hot for idle.

Try taking the side of your case off then getting a large fan and blowing it inside the case then turning it on (careful not to let anything blow into the case, and make sure the fan is blowing while the case is off or it will probably overheat even more quickly. How does the CPU temp look? Does it freeze when scanning?

Also, did you backup all your data and use compressed air to blow dust out like computerwiz suggested?