Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System won't reboot without user help

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you access Recovery Console from the Hard Drive or from the CD?

Advertisements

mountaineer 62

mountaineer 62

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
The hard drive.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'm wondering if having the Recovery Console installed as a boot option is causing your problem. Is the Recovery Console an available option on the installation cd?

mountaineer 62

mountaineer 62

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I'm not sure. I added the recovery consol option to the boot sequence after the problems started. I thought that it might help in trouble shooting.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Boot into Recovery Console. At the prompt, type fixmbr and press "Enter". Reboot.

Does this help?

mountaineer 62

mountaineer 62

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Ok. After I type fixmbr enter I get the following message:

"This computer appears to have a non-standard or invalid Master Boot Record.
FIXMBR may damage your partition tables if you proceed.
This could cause all partitions on the current hard drive to become inaccessible."

Thought I better check with you first before I take the plunge.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is your data backed up?

mountaineer 62

mountaineer 62

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I have a complete image backup +/- 1 month old. If I do a image backup now it will take about an hour. It would probably be smart to backup now so I won't lose all this thread etc.

mountaineer 62

mountaineer 62

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
My last complete image was done on 24 June.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yep...go ahead and back up....unless you can live with a two week old backup. We may not even need it, but better safe than sorry.

Do you have a floppy drive on your machine?

Advertisements

mountaineer 62

mountaineer 62

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Yes, I have a floppy drive. I make my image backups with Acronis True Image on the hard drive. I also have a external hard drive I could use if you think I should.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is the external drive connected when you start the machine? If it is, disconnect it and reboot...see if that changes things.

mountaineer 62

mountaineer 62

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Good news. :whistling: I made a complete image backup using Acronis True Image. I then activated Acronis Recovery Startup Manager (had been inactive). Rebooted the system and non-system disk message did NOT come up. I think that activating the recovery startup manager cured the problem. So that problem looks like it has been solved. The "run dll as an application has encountered a problem and needs to close" problem still appears on the desk top and needs to be manually closed. Any ideas on how to get rid of this message?

mountaineer 62

mountaineer 62

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Fixed the other problem. It had to do with my ATI video card. Looked at msconfig startup programs and unchecked ATIRW.exe and the problem disappeared. When you get mad enough and think hard enough you can sometimes get lucky and surprise yourself with what you really know.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Good job! :blink:

What'd you need me for? :whistling:

Seriously, that was good (and lucky) troubleshooting. I'll remember that Acronis can give that symptom when not activated...it's a new one on me. It's in the bag of tricks now, though.

Any other problems I can get you to figure out? :help:

wannabe1