Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Copyright protection message on real dvds

• Please log in to reply

SimpleShape

SimpleShape

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Last night, when trying to play a rented DVD in my Samsung SD616T, I received a message in Jet Audio "Key exchange for DVD copy protection failed", which is the media program I normally use (I'm running Windows Xp). I received a similar message, reworded, from Real Player, and a predictably more vague one from Windows Media 10.

Here's where it get's tricky. I tried some of my own DVDs, all of which I've played before numerous times. The drive will play one of them, but not the others. They are all Region 1, and the one that plays (a german film called Stroszek) appears to be printed in the US. The drive still plays video files off burned CDs with ease. I've restarted the computer, reinstalled Jet audio, and rolled back a windows update that dealt with licensing. The messages remain.

Ideas?

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
well I have bunch of stuff. lets see if any of this helps:

There are several reason. The first may be an improperly installed version of DirectX. Installing the latest version is the first step.

Another popular reason for this message is that you have some 3rd party program running in the background which is interfering with drive access. Common programs are DVD Background program (region-free and such) and CD/DVD Packet Writing drivers that may come bundled with CD/DVD Burning programs such as "RecordNow", "Nero" and "Easy CD Creator". You may be able to disable these programs interference within the DVD Drive's property page.

Here is a direct quote from a user who resolved this issue:
I have or should I say had a copy of Stomps RecordNow installed and like Nero & Roxio they have their own packet writing software called DLA. I wasn't even aware it was on my computer. there's no system tray icon. The only way you know is buy opening the properties of your drive or if you right click on the drive there will be an option to enable or disable DLA. I disable the sh.....t and uninstalled and I have Zoom Player back. Something you might want to remember because I'm sure someone else is going to run into this same problem. Thanks

This article http://support.micro...om/?kbid=814846 says you need to be running service pack 2 for xp.

The other option is to reinstall direct x from microsoft and see if that helps.

SimpleShape

SimpleShape

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for your reply. I had read the article you quoted, and reinstalled directx, as well as all the microsoft update updates, which shows that service pack 2 is already installed.

The problem persists.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
have you tried using powerdvd or windvd players? generally they perform much better than media player when it comes to dvd's.

SimpleShape

SimpleShape

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you! I reinstalled PowerDVD, and it runs great, though it is an old version. So I can play DVD's again.

Though no longer essential, it would be great if I could get the other media programs running DVDs again. If anyone has any ideas, or encounters this problem in the future, please let me know.

Thanks again for your help, starjax.