Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

blank blue screen AND cpu usage 100%

• Please log in to reply

geege1

geege1

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi. I was wondering if anyone could assist me on a problem I have encountered with my PC. I recieved a file from a so called (now ex) mate on msn and opened it, and it has downloaded a number of viruses on my comp (one of them was the smitfraud-C). I have tried to sort it out by using spybot, adaware se, ewido and smitrem, and thought I had got rid of it. I turned off my pc and restarted only to find that I now have a completely blank blue screen and no icons and no ability to right-click), also, when I start the task manager I find that my cpu usage is stuck at 100%. Some programs are accessible through the "run" part of task manager, but they are EXTREMELY slow. Slow being, it took 20 mins for spybot to show on the screen ALONE, then when I tried to do a scan it took 1 hr to scan 950 files (I ended up quitting). Unfortunately I cant post a hijack this log as I'm on my dads laptop writing this (and I've tried accessing the prog on my pc and it was taking an eternity to run). I also tried system restore with no luck and..here it comes.. I misplaced my windows XP disk, therefore I couldn't re-install the program. If anyone could help I'd be forever thankful as I have 6 months worth of music samples and demos (for an up and coming band) that I don't want to lose (I lost 9 months work last year due to a kernel error thingy andI know I should have backed up the files lol :whistling: ). My knowledge of computing is fair..and I'm willing to try ANYTHING to resolve the matter. Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Advertisements

MeowMeow

MeowMeow

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
if you have a 2nd computer in your network, try opening task manager and then search for each of the file that might be a virus that's running in the task manager (check in processes). disconnect yourself from internet first and then close down the running processes which shouldn't be running and then run virus scan. the rest would be the run window in safe mode to delete all the virus files.

geege1

geege1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Unfortunately both comps aren't linked, and there are no viruses or spyware showing up on the processes..however, I stumbled on something about 10 mins ago. My C drive has been mysteriosly switched off..i found this out when i tried to get to system restore. I'm currently at the device manager but it's taking an unbelievable amount of time just to open..(so far 10 mins and it still hasnt fully opened... thx for the advice, any ideas regarding the c drive being turned off?

MeowMeow

MeowMeow

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
to be honest with you, i think your hard disk might jus have died a minute ago when u say that....
it doesn't matter if the 2 computer r linked, jus need to check out for the names of the running process of the viruses. system restore wont do you any good at all, the most effective way is still to format your computer before any hardware dies

geege1

geege1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
There seems to be nothing showing in the processes that could be a virus, this is one of the things I always check straight away whenever my comp feels like its going slower or pop-ups appear...nothing seems untoward in the processes (touch wood). Also, I can still search for files and folders in my c-drive, all my named folders are still there..it just takes an eternity for things to do what they are supposed to (even in safe mode). Since my last post, my device manager has STILL not opened fully. I'm pretty stuck :whistling:. thx again for replying.

MeowMeow

MeowMeow

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
do you remember what viruses have infected your computer? it would be easier to target them if you do. i've found a link for the removal of Smitfraud-c http://www.wildersse...ead.php?t=75890

geege1

geege1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
thx again for your concern..ill try this out (although accessing internet and other files is near impossible at this time). I'll keep u updated, cheers! :whistling:

geege1

geege1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
is there any way of turning my c drive back on via command promt or anything like that?

MeowMeow

MeowMeow

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
i doubt it =x

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Which system process is using 100% of your CPU?