Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

file from old hard drive to another old one.

• Please log in to reply

duley3

duley3

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
First I would like to tell everyont hello, So HELLO, Next is below

I have an emachines T1842 with XP Home that had a power supply go bad. So I changed it out and the led on the face of the tower would only flash when the power switch was turned on. I could push the power button on the front of the tower and nothing would happen. So I made some call to the store that I bought it and he said that the T series emachine are bad about taking out the mother board when a power supply goes out.

So I guess I need to replace the mother board now. But here's the thing. I want to get my doc. out of the one with the bad Mother board. I have another emachines (T1801 or something) running on XP Pro. So I thought I could just that the hard drive from the one with the bad board and use it as a slave on the other one. I got it hook up and everything was fine, the system found the new hard drive and everything. But I can not open my docs. The folder is there but it will not let me access it. It just keeps saying access denide But I can look around in all the other folder Like programs and things. I have checked the jumper to make sure they are were they need to be for using it as a slave.

What could I do to get the file to let me in. All I want to do is back up MY Docs. Because the person at the computer repair place said I might have to reinstall windows after replacing the mother board.

Could anyone help me? Thanks

Advertisements

WindyPants

WindyPants

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
It would seem to me that while using your second Emachine with the HD slaved, and logged in with Admin rights, you could assume control of the folder by resetting the Folder/File permissions.

Rt Click on the folder -> Properties -> Security.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi duley3! Welcome to G2G!

You need to take ownership of the files in order to access them. You can find out how to do that HERE.

Fenor

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Hi duley3! Welcome to G2G!

You need to take ownership of the files in order to access them. You can find out how to do that HERE.

Fenor

Okay thanks for the quick reply. I will give it a try when I get home tonight. I'm at work and can only print this stuff and take it home.

I would like to have several options to try. If this doesn't work what could I do next?

WindyPants

WindyPants

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
If I understood your question correctly, and if you login with the Admin account (or a user with equivalent rights) then ....... :whistling:

However, I would follow the directions in the link that Fenor submitted for safety.

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Okay, Thanks for all the help people. I have printed the link and will follow it to a T. I didn't really think I would get a reply so quickly thanks again.

I will post what the out come is on Friday. :whistling:

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Well, It worked Great.... Thanks for all the help people.

But I have have one more question.

I Can't find all of my E-Mail addresses. I use outlook express, and know that I have 100+ e-mail address somewhere.

Does anyone know the name of the fold or where I should start looking?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Glad to hear it! :whistling:

Now for your address book. Navigate to the following location (changing <USERNAME> to the name of the account you used on that computer)

C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book

In there you should see a <USERNAME>.wab and maybe a <USERNAME>.wab~ file. You can use the import wizard in Outlook Express and just navigate to that location to import it.

Fenor

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Great, Thanks again

You people are life savers. I played around with for a long time and almost gave up the other day. Until you people saved the day. I almost lost everything. But because I made it here I didn't. All the pics, mp3s, contacts and much more are saved.

Many thanks to everyone. :whistling: