Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NEccisito un Sugestion

• Please log in to reply

master_with_a_problem

master_with_a_problem

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hello all, due to recent O.C. expirenmenting ( I guess I shouldnt have turned on "fast ws read/write" in the bios) I have managed to screw up my card (tearing occurs on the screen during a games). I was in need of a new card anyways but I only have an agp 4x/8x slot.

The broken card now that I have is: Geforce FX 5900xt; core clock: 400; mem clock: 700; 128mb 256bit DDR memory.
My dream card for 160 dollars would be:
-256mb GDDR2/3 mem.
-Mem clock: 1000mhz or greater
-Core Clock: 500mhtz or greater
-256bit memory
-newer GPU or chip as in 6800 vs 6200.

The one on newegg I really like (for agp 4x/8x) is a 6800xt the specs at the link below:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814150157

The problem with the one above is its core clock is 325, SLOWER THEN MY ONE NOW!. I dont mind going to ATI if they have a good option that fits what I would like, but I prefer NVIDIA. One last thing, should I buy a mobo w/ pci x16 support and then save up more bank and then get another card? any help would be AWSOME. thank you.

Advertisements

MNOB07

MNOB07

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
the 6800 xt is a fine card for your budget. Don't look at the lower clockspeed, look at benchmarks, your FX 5900 won't even be in the same league as this one :whistling:

here's another, cheaper, 512MB 6800xt "open box" not sure that may mean refurbished but it does have a 15 day return policy...

http://www.newegg.co...82E16814141026R

master_with_a_problem

master_with_a_problem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
well heres the thing, I know if I get this new card I will be able to play bf2 on high, but I am more interested in the ability to play the game Crysis on at least medium when it comes out this winter. I know it will be able to be played on high on the 7900 maybe even on a lower spec card (I saw that a movie where they were running the game at some computer event and in the background I guy said it was running on a dell xps, so it has to run on one card and the best card right now is one of the 7900's). So I dont really know what to do, all I can think about is how friking awsome crysis looks.

MNOB07

MNOB07

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
What kind of computer do you have now? Mobo socket, cpu, etc...

master_with_a_problem

master_with_a_problem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
sorry Im back so late:
Machspeed k8800 (or something, it has a via chipset) AGP 8x/4x slot
2gb of Dual channel PC3200 (2-3-2-5) memory (Patriot)(new)
AMD643000+ 512 kb of cache (at 2.00 ghtz) socket 754
Nvidia Geforce fx 5900xt with specs listed above
120gb HD 7200 r.p.m. 2mb cache
DVD-/+RW/-R/+R 16x
Win xp Pro (yep it also a legal copy, amazingly)
P.S. I wouldn't have gotten a socket 754 but the entire setup (other then the new R.A.M.) was really cheap from a friend (like 200 bucks), and I got it shortley after amd had come out with there line of 64bits. the difference between 939 and 754 didn't matter much to me at the time all I was thinking about was "WOW thats faster with bigger numbers, and SHINYER!".

Edited by master_with_a_problem, 29 June 2006 - 07:07 PM.

MNOB07

MNOB07

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
It's hard to tell exactly what will run Crysis on medium settings until it or at least a proper demo is released. As far as I know the Crysis videos have all been scripted and prerendered.

If you really want to play Crysis at medium settings, you can pick up a 7800GS now for around $300, and overclock or upgrade your processor... you should be able to stand a fighting chance. But that is a bit too much to spend.

Although the 6800XT will be considered "low end" when Crysis is released, but it will play battlefield 2 well which is what's important right now. If that's all your budget permits, I would leave it at that.