Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Television Frequency

• Please log in to reply

MJRevell

MJRevell

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
The television set that i have been using is a very old model, and since it's approaching unusable now, i'm looking for a replacement. The old model was 50Hz only, and this is where my dilemma lies. I am looking for one that can support 60Hz, preferably as cheap as possible. However, in the specs posted on websites, there is never any mention of such a thing. Is this simply because TV's nowadays are expected to be 60Hz? Or is it because, in order to be a 60Hz piece, it is going to be more expensive?

I live in England, where i believe there is a difference in all this television technology, if that makes a difference. But i'm kind of hoping it's a very real possibility for me to pick up a cheap, 60Hz television set.
I look forward to your replies.

Edited by MJRevell, 29 June 2006 - 10:52 AM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Only really really old and really really cheap ones wont support 60Hz, most will be set at 50 default but most support 60 shouldnt be a problem, will be listed ni manufactureres spec sheet.

In Britian and most of Europe to my knowledge we use PAL system others use NTSC, only difference really is the greater number of lines in a PAL apart from that they are all pretty much the same.

What do you need 60Hz for anyway its usually unimportant.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Are inexpensive TV sets hard to get in England? I'm not trying to be sarcastic, it's just that here in the US you can get a decent TV without spending very much money. We mostly look for the jacks to connect to our VCRs, DVDs, cable TV service, stereo speaker, whatever, not Hzs. I couldn't even tell you what any of the Hzs are in any set in this house. I got my daughter a cable ready 13 inch (measured diagonally) with a full remote control including sound and favorite channel programming for less than $100 at Christmas. I could have spent $50 more and got a built in dvd player and a bigger screen, but she's only 8 years old. LOL In the US, TVs are regarded as "appliances" unless they involve the high def stuff or home entertainment/ large screen/ plasma/ let's get as carried away as we can/ kind.

Johanna
Anybody remember the days that TVs came in huge wooden consoles, and long after the TV died, you set the new one on the top because then you could still see it from the couch? In those days, children were remote controls. You yelled at the child in the next room to change the channel, citing parental authority, and the kid did it, muttering, and didn't think a thing of it.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
*admin remembers those days. Of course there were only four channels, so a remote wasn't used much. :blink:

The first remotes 'clicked' instead of using infrared signals. A button to move the channel up, a button to move the channel down, and a power button. :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
TVs here are pretty cheap, in fact ridiculously cheap sometimes there is alot of cheap imports so you have to be careful what you get, even high def LCDs are getting cheap a 32" hdtv is only £550, TVs are cheap its just easy to get really bad ones.

ChRiS1888

ChRiS1888

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
edit: i know you were joking...but some may not...please don't suggest buying stolen goods even in jest :whistling:

MJRevell

MJRevell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I need 60Hz for any video games that will be played on it.

It's not hard to get a cheap one here.. in fact i had a look around today, and saw numerous sets ranging from £50-140 that look decent - but nowhere did it mention whether they could run at 60Hz... :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Most do but all games consoles ive ever seen also happily display at 50Hz. PS1 and 2 and xbox and all the nintendos all happily display 50Hz.

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts

Anybody remember the days that TVs came in huge wooden consoles, and long after the TV died, you set the new one on the top because then you could still see it from the couch? In those days, children were remote controls. You yelled at the child in the next room to change the channel, citing parental authority, and the kid did it, muttering, and didn't think a thing of it.

Was it really true if you spun the changer too quickly it would break the T.V. ?
Can't tell ya how many times I got a shoe off the side of the head for that one :whistling:

rstones12

rstones12

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 3,731 posts
Does this look familiar??

zenith_remote_peq.jpg

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Ah yes. I remembered three buttons, but four does make more sense. up/down/on/off

Those things were pretty heavy too, but never needed batteries. Throw me the clicker. :whistling:

Justin

Justin

I do a little bit of everything

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
Whats that rstones? Some sort of teleportation device?

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
Oh and lets not forget about the ultimate receiver

Posted Image

Just an extra pinch on the top of the rabbit ears went a long way :whistling:

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I am over 40, and still cannot stand blocking the TV, in my OWN house, without fully expecting my dad's shoe or book to smack me in the shoulderblades, "Down in front!" This was especially true during football season. (Go Steelers!)

MJRevell- my kids have Playstation, Gameboy, etc and all we ever give them are the inexpensive tvs to use- seems to work just fine. I'm sure they would have filed formal complaints if their man got killed because of some technical failing of the equipment. LOL

Johanna