Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE7 Help

• Please log in to reply

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
hello,
drew28 like i said previously this isn't your topic, can you please create a new one to get help. This is going to get too confusing with two different computers having problems in one topic.
thanx
James

Edited by james_8970, 03 July 2006 - 08:54 PM.

Advertisements

master_with_a_problem

master_with_a_problem

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
I dont know if I understand, if it isnt in the program files folder, it isnt in the registry and you cant run the actual beta version then where the heck is the problem, I think you should explain what you did chronologically and exactly, if you do this the answer may become apperant eighter to your self or us. and there is one complete bomb run you could do on your comp which is reformat it but that is absolutley out of the question untill you explain what EXACTLY you did on what day in what order, ect.

drew28

drew28

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I can't reformat...I just reformatted about a month ago

Well lets see....I installed IE7 beta 1....used it for a while, then beta 2 came out. I downloaded it and tried installing it, thinking maybe it would just install over beta 1. But it didn't and it told me another version of IE7 is already installed and you have to uninstall it. So I went to Add Remove Programs and looked around and couldn't find it in there. I had the Show Updates checked. Then I googled 'uninstalling IE7 beta 1' and I found this page....http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/ and scrolled down to Uninstalling IE7 Beta Realeses. I put all of those in the Run but none of them worked. After it showed the table of the run commands...I didn't really get that part. Maybe thats what I have to do, I dont know. I do have CCleaner and that probably deleted a folder called something similar to this....(%windir%\$NtUninstallie7. Then after I tried all of that, I thought I would try System Restore. I realized I didn't have it enabled...so that didn't work. I did enable it though after I saw it was disabled.

So thats all I have tried and all that I have done........I dont know what the deal is. I don't get why it just wont show up in Add Remove Programs, and trust me, the Show Updates was checked. I think either me or IE7 Beta 1 is just mentaly retarded. :whistling:

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
master_with_a_problem hit the main thing I was thinking of and that IE 7 should be showing in the Program Files list on your HD. Maybe make sure your folder options are set to show you EVERYTHING which will make sure search does a look-see into them too. This was on the page link previously given to do because uninstalling required this option.

Exploring your C drive using Explorer and expanding the Program Files and then Internet Explorer folders should show you whether IE 7 is indeed there. If not in there at all, then there may be a Resgistry screw-up and all instances of IE 7 Registry entries may have to be found. I''m ok at doing my own editing, but not giving someone else instructions on which keys to look for and modify/delete. Do know a Registry backup is a must! :whistling:

Did anyone find an ie7uninstall.exe in the main Windows folders at all? Not sure if IE 7 is going to put its uninstall program there are not being in Beta, but IE 6's is there.

Ron

master_with_a_problem

master_with_a_problem

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
IE 7's unistaller (unless moved manually) is located always in its own folder, (normally named IE 7 in the program files folder). If you can Still use >>IE7<< Then it means it still is installed on your computer. If you cannot find a folder in your "C:\Program Files\IE7\" or "C:\Program Files\IE7 beta\" or something very similiar, but you can still use IE7, then it is installed in a different directory or you cannot see it because it is hidden. TO ENABLE VIEWING OF HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS YOU MUST: go to your control panel >>then to Folder Options then click on the tab that says view. Scroll down the list and find the "fill in the circle style" selectors for hidden files, select "view hidden files and folders". Then look for one of the directories I mentioned before. If all the above fails and no directory is found then you need to do a search on the C: drive for "IE7" go to advanced options then tick "search for hidden files and folders" If you cannot still use IE7 then you dont really need to do any of this.

master_with_a_problem

master_with_a_problem

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
P.S. I think the lesson here whether this is resolved or not, use system restore or have some system to back up your stuff.

drew28

drew28

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Okay...I went to my Program Files folder and clicked on Internet Explorer. In there I found a spuninst thing....double clicked it and I got an error that said......http://img344.images...ntitled16fy.jpg

If someone just sent me the installer for IE7 beta 1 couldn't I just install over the other one and then it would show up in add remove programs...or I would atleast be able to see the files that got deleted by CCleaner?

And btw, I do have view hidden files and folders checked....

Edited by drew28, 04 July 2006 - 02:01 PM.

Pianoman16

Pianoman16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
I just did an issue scan in CCleaner and I noticed that a problem came up the mentions IE 7 beta 2. It says "Uninstaller Refrence Issue" is the problem, it says where the fil eis suppose to be, "C:\Windows\$NtUninstallie...", and it tells me what registry key. But I have no idea what to do. This tells me that there is an uninstall in here somewhere, but where? Anyone know what to do?

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
After deleting the IE7 program folder, open the registry editor, search for all instances of IE7 keys and delete them too. Then try install beta 3. Only other option is back up your own files (Pictures, Documents, Music) then do a full re-install of Windows.

drew28

drew28

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I cant delete the Internet Explorer file....There is an error and it says....http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/9062/error8dj.jpg

I didn't have any programs open when I tried deleting it and every user was logged off, except of cours, me.

I just installed IE7 Beta 3 on my other computer and it works great. It even shows up in Add Remove Programs !

Edited by drew28, 05 July 2006 - 07:34 PM.

Advertisements

drew28

drew28

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I think I may have figured out what the problem could be. After I installed IE7 Beta 1 and was running it for a while, Beta 2 came out. So when I downloaded that I tried installing it and got the Error messege saying there was another version of IE7 already on your computer. It wasn't in Add Remove Programs then either because I couldn't uninstall it. So I opened up the installer for Beta2 in Winrar and extracted all the files to the Internet Explorer folder in Program files and overwritted everything. Something tells me that wasn't the smartest thing I could have done....I can still use IE7 Beta 1 though, it jus works really sh!tty

Edited by drew28, 05 July 2006 - 07:38 PM.

jhempelayo

jhempelayo

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

I cant delete the Internet Explorer file....There is an error and it says....http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/9062/error8dj.jpg

I didn't have any programs open when I tried deleting it and every user was logged off, except of cours, me.

I just installed IE7 Beta 3 on my other computer and it works great. It even shows up in Add Remove Programs !

you foget this
From M$
Internet Explorer 7 Fails to Install from Specified User Account -- If you see an error message saying you cannot uninstall Internet Explorer 7 from this user account, and you're sure it's the account you used to install, or the original installation account has been removed, you can bypass the check by:
Click 'Run" and type 'regedit' from the Start menu
Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft]InternetExplorer
Right click the 'Internet Explorer' key, choose 'new', and then 'DWORD value'
Enter 'InstalledByUser' as the name and hit 'Enter' to finish creating the new register key
Retry uninstalling Internet Explorer 7

drew28

drew28

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I figured it out. Go into safe mode and delete the IE file in Program Files. Then empty the recyle bin and get out of safe mode. Then run the IE7 Beta 3 installer and it works perfect!!!