Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

98 2nd ed startpage locked

• Please log in to reply

sliderbc

sliderbc

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi

I had a so called tech in to help me with a few problems and he did something which locked my startpage URL to yahoo.ca. That was fine however something happened and it is now MSN and I cannot change it back to yahoo.ca as the buttons and the link are non active. I can see them but do not work and so are light coloured.

I called him but he will not help out. He said that what he done was impossible for any program to change it automatically so did not believe my claims.

Anybody here know what I am talking about here. The tech did it to prevent browser hijacks however it did not help and I been highjacked and unable to chage my startpage anymore at all

sliderbc :whistling:

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Please go to the Malware section of this forum and read the rules before posting there. Read all the required steps and follow the iinstructions very carefully. Most of any malware is removable before you have to post a Hijackthis log, but do so only if asked. Post back here if instructed by the Malware Experts and the problem still exsists.

Ron

sliderbc

sliderbc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes I am a newbie however I did read the malware area.

This problem is not malware. The startpage was locked intentionally by a real person sitting in my

computer chair. I want to unlock it now and need help. This is a system config problem I believe and

should be in this area of the forum. I need to have the steps if anyone knows them to simply unlock the

startpage.

This is found on the first page of the internet options icon in the control panel at the very top.

The startpage address where I want to go to when I open up my browser. I am using IE.

At the present time this change of address area is disabled and I need to get it re enabled buy following a

set of steps that is somwhere in the wind 98 2nd ed system.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
What the tech did keeps people using your PC from unlocking the startup page. Web sites aren't stopped that easily. Malware programs are usually the main culprit.

If you are comfortable editing the Registry, then make a backup copy of the Registry before doing this. Go to Start>Run, type regedit, click OK. Navigate to:

hkey_current_user\software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel

Under control panel, you must see a value name "HomePage" w/o the quotes with a value of 1. Change the value 1 to 0 to unlock your internet address. Reboot. Let me know if this worked.

Ron

sliderbc

sliderbc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Major

Yes that was what I was looking for. I now have my startpage address unlocked. Thank you

sliderbc

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Hi sliderbc:

There is just so much vicious malware out there that you overlook the simpler things to fix a problem. :whistling: Thanks for posting back and letting us know it worked for you.

Ron