Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

philips 4801/81 problem

• Please log in to reply

trunolimit

trunolimit

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi I am a newbie, but not just any newbie. I am a newbie with a rather interesting problem. I have a philips CDD 4801/81 CDR/RW internal drive. I am working on a DELL dimension 4550 with windows xp SE2 and 3 hard drives. A 30 and 120 gig installed on the primary IDE, a 40 gig bundeled up with my CD drive on the secondary IDE. everything is set on CS (cable select).

now for the problem. Basicaly my CD drive dosn't work. i tride uninstalling it both physically and through device manager and reinstalling it. I've tried to update the firmware but since i really don't know how to do it, that was a flop. any cd i put in the drive is not being read and when i go into my computer it shows the drive as letter G and as a DVD drive. in device manager it shows up as AS7603l EYJ183T SCSI CdRom Device. I got the bright idea to boot up in safemode and see if it works. to my suprise the drive works in safe mode and shows up in mycomputer as letter F cd rom drive.

can any one shed some light on this situation. and if you need more info please feel free to ask.

Edited by trunolimit, 30 June 2006 - 01:23 AM.

Advertisements

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Im not pretending to know the cause of your problem but are you running any CD emulation software such as Alcohol 120% or Daemontools? These are not unknown to cause conflicts with optical disc media devices.

Digikiwi

WindyPants

WindyPants

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hmmm......

I have the same Dell4550 and (I believe) the same Phillips CDRW at home. A little different arrangement of devices, but the installed devices (4) occupy all of the IO channels and are all set to CS.

Q: How does Bios reflect the IO assignments? Is the CDRW correctly defined in Bios?
Q: When you re-installed the CDRW in Device Manager, did you point to new drivers, or just reuse what Windows found?

My gut feeling is that you have a bad driver. A driver that is meant for the SCSI version of the Phillips CDRW. The reason I say that is that in SAFE MODE, you get the correct drive information and it works.

But that is a guess....

trunolimit

trunolimit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
dude digikiwi your the man. i actually have power iso and deamon tools installed. it was the deamontools that was giving me the problems. consider this matter solved. but this kind sucks because i use deamon tools to play my prince of persia game. I guess we all can't have our cake and eat it off the belly of a really hot chik too.

but thanks you guys really helped.

ohh and for others having this problem i just uninstalled deamon tools altogether.

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Glad to have been of assistance :blink: . There may be a workaround for having your cake and eating it too (while playing your game :whistling: ). Do some searching on google and you'll find others who have worked through this. But be careful - some sites lure in the unwary (malware and suchlike).

Digikiwi

Edited by digikiwi, 05 July 2006 - 10:34 PM.