Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ALL USB ports suddenly stopped detecting anything -XP laptop

• Please log in to reply

drwtsn32

drwtsn32

• Pip
  • 2 posts
A couple of months ago there was a virus detected on the system (not sure what virus.) the anti virus program I use AVG managed to clean the virus. However i realised that the USB ports were not functioning after that. I tried to reinstall the Intel Chipset drivers from the Manufacturer's website - Asus.

I also tried to reinstall the usb drivers for various devices like the printer and web cam but no joy. Even my thumb drive/portable hard disk does not get detected.

Have checked that the CMOS settings are device manager and the usb root hub and usb ports show up fine no errors /no yellow exclamation marks. Have gone to safe mode and removed any old usb drivers from device manager. rebooted still no luck.

It does NOT detect anything! looks like plug and play is not working or something...is there any plug and play problems I can check. lastly i resorted to buying a pc card usb hub which actually works!! it gives me 4 usb ports but the usb ports on my laptop are still dead. Strange how device manager does not show any errors - as if the were disabled w/o my knowledge I do have admin rights on the system. Have tried logging on as another user (administrator) just in case.

The last thing is to reload the operating system but the last time I did that I spent so much time re customising and installing apps again. Hope you guys have some suggestions...thanks in advance!

Edited by drwtsn32, 30 June 2006 - 07:34 PM.

Advertisements