Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Good internet connection but browsers return errors

• Please log in to reply

JayInJefferson

JayInJefferson

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Please help.

I'm trying to help someone I work with. They arerunning Windows XP SP2. About a week ago they tried to install CA's EZ Trust. It didn't install correctly so they uninstalled it. After that, IE could not get to and display any web sites. It fails with the error server not found. I have run IE Fix and Winsock XP Fix. I can ping and tracert using hostname or IP. I can do nslookup without problems. Today I downloaded Firefox to my machine, put it on my zip drive and loaded and installed it on their machine. Firefox has the same basic problem but returns a timeout error. I installed Sharkwire (previously known as Ethereal). I see an http packet coming back from the web site but the destination IP is not the same as the machine I'm working on so I presume there is a proxy somewhere.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated !!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm not familiar with the inner workings of eztrust but i would imagine that they've packaged a firewall of somekind with it...what caused the install to fail? have you tried reinstalling it? or doing a system restore to a time before the failed install?

JayInJefferson

JayInJefferson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm about ready to give up and do the system restore. My co-worker doesn't remember the details of the install failure. It's just the hacker in me that wants to find out what happened. I don't know eztrust either but I don't see any processes or folders or services that resemble that name. If I don't figure it out in the next hour or so a system restore will have to do. After all, it is not my computer and the weekend is near.