Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP disk won't boot

• Please log in to reply

roxybaby

roxybaby

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
First off, sorry if this belongs in the WinME forum, I wasn't sure since i'm in the middle of changing.

I'm using the holiday weekend to upgrade a Dell Dimension from WinME to XP. I'm following the steps this forum has provided. I set my BIOS to boot from the CD first. When the computer restarted with the installation CD in one of my CD-ROM drives, the working light for both CD-ROM drives came on, but then Windows loaded normally.

I tried running the compatibility tester that is on the installation CD in Windows. When I did, I got two messages.

First:
Posted Image

Then:
Posted Image

Does this I mean I need a newer installation CD? Is there somewhere I can burn a CD that would work with ME? Or is there something else I am doing wrong?

Thanks for your time and help.

Edited by roxybaby, 30 June 2006 - 12:28 PM.

Advertisements

roxybaby

roxybaby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
In the meantime, a friend of mine recommended I use Dell's computer evaluation tool. I did, and it said I need to upgrade my BIOS (current version - A07). Before I do something as major as this, I just want to make sure that it really is why my XP disk won't boot at startup and that it really is necessary. Also, will the updated BIOS still work with Win ME?

Thanks again.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Does your dell computer have a pentium 3 1 gig processor? This is the minimum processor i would install XP on. Even then i consider XP to be slow on these computers.

The second thing is that you must have the retail version of the XP cd. Unlike the upgrade version the retail version is meant to install on a blank hard drive. It does not like installing over another windows install.

Heres a good read on installing XP.

http://www.winsupers...g_9xupgrade.asp

Use the windows upgrade advisor to see what you need.

http://www.microsoft...ng/advisor.mspx

heres a clean install by Paul Thurrott.

http://www.winsupers...xp_sg_clean.asp

For various reasons i do not suggest doing BIOS upgrades unless you really know exactly what you are doing. It would be better to let a good computer shop upgrade your bios if that is what you need to install XP on your computer.

SRX660