Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AMD Athlon(TM) XP1900+ Processor Running Too Slow

• Please log in to reply

TrueAnubis

TrueAnubis

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Okay, here's the system:

Computer Manufacturer: ASUS
Computer Model: A7V266-E
CPU Manufacturer: AuthenticAMD
CPU Family: AMD Athlon™ XP1900+
CPU Speed: 1211 MHz
Front-Side Bus Speed: 100 MHz

This particular processor is supposed to run at 1600 MHz, but as you can see, it's running too slow. Obviously, the Front-Side Bus is running too slow for me to get the proper processor speed; the FSB should be running at 133 MHz.

Now I tried going into the BIOS and changing it by setting it to 1600 MHz, but the computer hangs when that happens. So next I set it to Manual and tried switching the FSB manually to 133/33, but it still hangs. I then found out that the Vcore is supposed to be running at 1.75V, but it's only running at 1.575V, so I tried switching that up as well, but to no avail.

Next, I tried switching out of Jumper-Free Mode and using the jumpers on the MB to the proper settings: 12x Multiplier, 133 MHz FSB, 1.75V Vcore. It still hangs up.

I then accidentally switched the Vcore to 1.85V. It now finally would run at 1600 MHz . . . for about a minute. Sadly, at 1.85V, the computer overheats, as that's beyond what's it's able to handle. I switched it back and have a couple other problems on the computer because of it (with two specific programs), but we'll deal with that later (as it's unrelated to the core problem).

The computer is back in working order now (as in not overheated), but it's still running too slow. I've tried the BIOS and I've tried the jumpers, but nothing works. How do I get my computer to run at the proper speed? Please help!

Edited by TrueAnubis, 30 June 2006 - 05:07 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You probably need a bios upgrade for your motherboard. There is one here so you should compare your bios coding you get when you first boot up and see if its an earlier version.

http://support.asus....SLanguage=en-us

The download is the A7A266-E 1012 bios number( the stable version) rather than the beta version . And go to the link there to see if your processor is listed in the upgrade. would also download the all flash utility while you are there.

http://www.asus.com....cpusupport.aspx

There may be someone else here that knows asus MB's better than me to help guide you.

SRX660

TrueAnubis

TrueAnubis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I updated the BIOS, and now the computer is dead. I'm posting from my wife's computer at this point.

I'm thinking I should have listened to the ASUS auto-update thing, which actually said my MB was an A7A266-E/AA. Thing is, my manual doesn't say that, I couldn't find anyinfo on the "/AA" version anywhere on the internet, and there was no 1012 BIOS version for it, so I just assumed the site made a mistake, especially since every diagnostic tool I have said I just had the A7A266-E.

Anyway, I downloaded the 1012 BIOS for that and ran it, and got a warning that it didn't match the type I already had, but then figured I'd been running with an incorrect BIOS all along (since it wasn't working properly). So I ran the new BIOS anyway. I restarted, and it's just black from the moment it's powered on. I can't get to any BIOS menu, and I can't even boot from the floppy to restore the old BIOS.

I tried clearing the CMOS hardware, but that didn't help at all. How do I fix this now? I really hate Asus at this point for this nonsense. Who prints a single manual for two entirely different motherboards without stating there is some kind of difference?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
When a BIOS flash fails, the only typical remedy is to physically replace the chip on the motherboard in which the BIOS is stored with one containing a working BIOS for that motherboard. That probably means going back to the manufacturer of your computer or its motherboard. Since your motherboard is a bit older i don't even think it is worth the trouble. I have done a dozen of so bios upgrades . There was only one time a bad bios flash caused the computer to die. That one i did have to find another MB that was similar so i could use the same processor. Sorry that the flash did not work.

One other choice is to buy another Mb iff Ebay that can match your processor but that can be a crapshoot as to what you get.

SRX660

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
TrueAnubis

Not to worry and its certainly not time to buy a new Motherboard. You just got a good lesson in why it pays to be careful with this sort of thing.

I'd suggest your first step is to take a very good look at your mobo and figure out exactly what the model number and revision number is. This will be stenciled on the board itself. Once you are 100% for sure certain, head back ove rto the ASUS site and determine what is the very latest BIOS available. Write this down as a minimum or download the file and save it in a safe place.

Now, contact Jack at Badflash.com by either going to his site or emailing [email protected] - you can buy a pre-programmed chip from him or send him an attachment with that download you saved and he'll use that BIOS or send him your BIOS chip and ask that he reprogram it with the correct BIOS. This guy is the best in the business and is very prompt. You can also buy a chip from ASUS but I'd stick with Jack - he'll make it easy for you.

Let us know how you make out.

:whistling:

TrueAnubis

TrueAnubis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
That one wasn't worth saving, so I got a new system. Unfortunately, it has a ton of problems as well . . .