Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sempron issues...

• Please log in to reply

Doomed_to_a_pathetic_computer

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
I just got a nice AMD Sempron 2200+ from someone's old computer, but my ASUS A7V333 Motherboard doesn't seem to like it, they're both Socket A, but I get an error when I try to start up...

Advertisements

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
does the error have a name?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Asus boards from this generation refused to bootup with a Sempron processor. You need a BIOS update for it which has to be installed before it will recognise and bootup with that processor.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Well, I finally got it working, but my BIOS recongnized it as a 1.2 ghz cpu, which is slower than my old Pentium 4. I switched back to my old processor and it didn't work... I eventually found out... I forgot how I figured it out, but my CPU fan had been trying to die.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Are Sempron 2200+'s really only 1.2 Ghz CPUs? Or is it my motherboard doing that?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Sempron 2200s are clock speeds of 1500Mhz, sounds like you might need to set the FSB speeds accordingly (all Semprons on the Socket A boards run at 166/333 speeds). This is normally an option in BIOS or via jumpers on the board.