Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Browser Hijack & SysFader problem[RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
I actually try to steer anyone away from McAfee and Norton. Those suites try to take over a users system because they believe they know what is best for you.

For firewall I recommend Kerio and for antivirus I recommend KAV or if you are looking for a free alternative I recommend AVG.

If you are interested in the firewall I talked about, let me know and I will look up the link for the older version. The new version has been known to have some flaws, but the older version works great.

As for the error that pops up on you, does it tell you what file is trying to add that start page?

ScHwErV :tazz:

Advertisements

rcoombs

rcoombs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
ScHwErV

It says that the following page has tried to be reset:

hhtp://ie.search.msn.com{SUB-RFC1766/srchasst/srchasst.htm}

My homepage is normally Google so not sure what this is - does it look suspicious to you or is it really just an MSN page?

Thanks also for your advice on recommended anti-virus etc. I note that XP seems to come with its own firewall - is this any good or really only a very basic level of protection?

Thanks
Richard

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
rcoombs

That entry looks to be a valid msn page. You can re-set your search preferences by installing the google toolbar. I recommend this program because of its pop-up blocking capabilities.

The windows firewall is a very basic level of protection. I do suggest a more potent firewall should you choose to use one. The kerio personal firewall comes highly recommended.

ScHwErV :tazz:

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with address of this thread. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.