Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems Accessing gpedit.msc in XP Pro

• Please log in to reply

StewBizzle

StewBizzle

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Upon trying to access the group policy editor (gpedit.msc) from start > run, xp comes back with the error, "Windows cannot find 'gpedit.msc'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search."

After some extensive googling, I have essentially discovered that gpedit.msc is NOT accessible in XP home, which would be fine EXCEPT I am running XP Pro. I have been unable to find any means of restoring the service, and it has remained inaccessible, despite trying to restore what files I could find from my xp disc to /system32.

I would really prefer to not have to reinstall windows, but I also need to be able to access this service, so any help would be tremedously appreciated since it has been a very frustrating ordeal to try and resolve. :whistling:

Advertisements

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Can you find that gepedit.msc file on your computer at all?

Try using the System File Checker to see if it can recover the file:
Go to Start->Run and type in sfc /scannow and hit OK. Let it scan. If it finds any files missing/corrupted, it may ask for the Windows CD.

StewBizzle

StewBizzle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
OMG, thank you...

I could not find the gpedit.msc file at all on my comp, but I ran the sfc /scannow, and it stopped almost immediately to ask for my xp disc...

The only kicker is, I could only find the one I have for my laptop (OEM), I still have to dig out the original for my desktop, so at about half way through it paused and wouldn't accept the disc, but I have no doubt that it will fix the problem, just have to sort through my stacks of cd's.

Thanks again, you have no idea how long I looked on google for a solution, I really appreciate it. :whistling:

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
No problem StewBizzle. Glad we can help :whistling:

shahija

shahija

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have had the same problem. When I run gpedit.msc the same error comes even for all others like regedit, mmc, or any thing i run the error pops out. I am using Windows Xp Pro 2002 SF3