Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows won't boot up/check disc froze.

• Please log in to reply

jtarr

jtarr

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a HP ZD7000 Laptop with Windows XP Home Media Center. A week ago, the computer would not boot up into windows. A few days later, it would boot up but take approximately 15 min. to a 1/2 hour and then the computer would move slowly and invariable crash.

Several times, when booting up I received the BSOD.

I ran system clean up and part way thru I received the following error message:

"App Name: rstrui.exe, AppVer: 5.1.2600.1106, Mod Name: rstrui.exe, Mod Ver. 5.1.2600.1106,
Offset: 0000fele. . . Code: Oxc0000006."

I then ran a disc defragmentation and the defragment resulted in many red lines still remaining.

I did a prefetch and deleted the start up files.

I then ran a chkdsk /f/r approximately 36 hours ago and the computer still has not booted up but is in the check disc process and is reporting that "windows is replacing bad clusters". At that time it became stuck on "windows is replacing bad clusters in 5168." It was stuck at cluster 5168 for the past 5 hours. Up until then it had reported replacing hundreds of bad clusters since it has been the chk dsk mode. Now, the computer is saying that the it cannot replace bad clusters b/c the disc is full. (Before this occurred I had about 40 GB available still available on my on my hard drive.)

I would prefer not to do a clean install of Windows because there is information on the hard drive that I do not wish to lose. Perhaps this is a windows issue but a bad hard drive?

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Edited by jtarr, 01 July 2006 - 07:13 PM.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I'm not going to be much help on most of this, but see if this is helpful:

Microsoft Patch Causing Lockups, Crashes .

Re: Patch KB908531. I thought they had already issued a patch for the patch so this may not be your problem. At least you could try uninstalling it.

Ron