Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LOCKED OUT (can't pass windows log on box)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
[quote name='cheyenne 09' date='Jul 7 2006, 10:42 AM' post='723474']
[quote name='Major Payne' post='721894' date='Jul 5 2006, 09:38 PM']
Hi:

I found out I will have limited time to post because I will be losing Internet service for awhile (Katrina damage repairs). Will not be able to post after tomorrow.

As I see it, you need to back up all the files you wish to keep while you are working from safe mode. I would then reverse the steps taken by restoring all the deleted files to their correct folder(s). These may be available for download online. I haven't checked. May get you back to original problem, but maybe we can get you back into your PC using Normal mode by logging in as usual and removing your original problem another way.

The BEST alternative is to use a DOS Password Recovery tool which you can insert into A: drive (hope you have one) and see what it can do. Once pass the Password Login in Windows there may be other things to do, but I think there's hope. I really didn't like those three Options given as deleting normal system files is not an option normally unless it is malware.

I hope to get back to you and read the original problem more in depth and find where the files you need can be found. Possibly borrow a Win Home Edition install CD and see if it will work to repair what your PC needs. Doesn't always work depending on what the manufacturer has done to HD. I did get online and obtained, not only the Restore CD, but the Windows XP MCE installation CD. Not sure they will do that for you on a 2001 PC.

Should no one take up your post within 3 days for an answer, you can post in the Waiting Room section of this forum. I apologize for this inconvenience.

Ron
[/quote]
:whistling: Hi
I am still locked out of my system and I have just got into this part of my setup menu system security section where you press enter then it gives the password setup my setup is as follows
password status unlocked
system password not enabled
setup password not enabled
post hotkeys F2 and F12
pxe b,s default policy deny
doe's this help me in anyway and inside my drive configuration menu more than one of these is switch off any advice would be great doe's this help my username and password problem Thank you again

Cheyenne 09
Hi wannabe and other techs
I would like to appolgise for any confusion i may have caused as i have more than one post in the forum windows xp. I don't know how to link them so linked them by name I also don't know what threads are and don't know how to refresh and reload pages either as I don't know how to do things on my computer and wannabe1 has just pointed threw my post in the waiting room that my previous posts may have confused you as there is now 5 of them I am sorry for any confusion but i still can't use my computer I started on 15 june 06 and i am still locked out. The computer that I have on loan has to go back in the next 2 weeks should i just give up trying to fix my computer as it is not getting any better Thanks for any help.

ps thanks wannabe1 for your help Cheyenne 09

Edited by cheyenne 09, 09 July 2006 - 02:14 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
cheyenne 09...

Your other topics have been closed to avoid confusion...this will now be the active topic. If you need to refer back to see previous suggestions, look at the links below.

http://www.geekstogo...s...=117170&hl= njustice/Keith

http://www.geekstogo...s...=117356&hl= Fenor

http://www.geekstogo...s...=118005&hl= rushin1nd/wannabe1

http://www.geekstogo...s...=119185&hl= dsenette/Fenor

wannabe1

Sandamon

Sandamon

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Cheyenne -

Mind you, my computer is going so slow now that I am barely able to get to this forum, but I have a suggestion that may work for you. Obviously you are able to borrow someone else's computer. If that person has the windows XP CD's then you can make what is called the Ultimate Boot CD. Go to google and search for Utlimate Boot CD for Windows. Basically it is a program that uses the Windows CD's to make a new CD that will load up your computer. This bypasses Windows and loads from a CD that you have made. ON this CD is also some anti Malware tools. One tool that is included is also a password tool. It probly will fail to find your password, but you can reset the password back to nothing so you can log in as the administrator! Also since it lets you start your computer, you may be able to also back up your files onto disk or CD - so if the whole thing goes you have that at least. Finally you have some access to your files so you might be able to try some of the above suggestions and restart again.

I have same trouble getting the computer to start in SAFE MODE -- What I do is HOLD the F8 key the whole darn time, and cuss a whole bunch... Maybe that will help :whistling:

You may need some help with making this Ultimate Boot CD but it is a handy tool to have when your computer won't start right! P.S. Make sure it is the Windows version or it won't do you any good.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Cheyenne -

Mind you, my computer is going so slow now that I am barely able to get to this forum, but I have a suggestion that may work for you. Obviously you are able to borrow someone else's computer. If that person has the windows XP CD's then you can make what is called the Ultimate Boot CD. Go to google and search for Utlimate Boot CD for Windows. Basically it is a program that uses the Windows CD's to make a new CD that will load up your computer. This bypasses Windows and loads from a CD that you have made. ON this CD is also some anti Malware tools. One tool that is included is also a password tool. It probly will fail to find your password, but you can reset the password back to nothing so you can log in as the administrator! Also since it lets you start your computer, you may be able to also back up your files onto disk or CD - so if the whole thing goes you have that at least. Finally you have some access to your files so you might be able to try some of the above suggestions and restart again.

I have same trouble getting the computer to start in SAFE MODE -- What I do is HOLD the F8 key the whole darn time, and cuss a whole bunch... Maybe that will help :whistling:

You may need some help with making this Ultimate Boot CD but it is a handy tool to have when your computer won't start right! P.S. Make sure it is the Windows version or it won't do you any good.

Hi sandamon
Thanks for your reply i went to the website and downloaded the ultimate boot cd it took 6 hours to download it and I burned it to a cd this morning and went and tried it but can't get it to work so in the windows advanced options menu what option do i take these are the options on screen safe mode safe mode with networking safe mode with command prompt enable vga mode last known good configuration(your most recent setting that worked) directory services restore mode(windows domain controllers only) debugging mode disable automatc restart on system failure start windows normally reboot return to os choices menu use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice please remember that if i choose safe mode i get the windows logon username and password box.Thanks again for your help

Cheyenne 09

Caracas

Caracas

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
I think you'll have to make sure that the CD you created is bootable and you'll have to boot your PC from CD.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

I think you'll have to make sure that the CD you created is bootable and you'll have to boot your PC from CD.

:whistling: Hi caracas
Thanks for you reply I made 2 copys of the ultimate boot cd a data disc and a boot able disc but i can't use them as i can't get the right option from the windows advanced options menu which option would run the cd disc any ideas thanks for replying.

Cheyenne 09

Caracas

Caracas

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
When your PC boots, you'll have to get into the BIOS.
There you need to locate Boot Device Priority.
The CD player has to be BEFORE the HD, so that your PC will look first for a bootable CD.

There is also a F-key you can press when booting your PC - but I'm not sure which - to get into the boot device priority menu.
If your PC looks for the HD first, you'll get the Windows Advanced Options Menu... Which you don't need

greets

Sandamon

Sandamon

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Well someone made the CD for me, but my understanding is that it is a program that you run, the program then takes information off of the original Windows CD and creates a disk that includes bootup. I don't know about having 2 disks.

As far as the options - when i load the CD it skips that entirely and loads from the DISK. Then there are options for the CD itself that come up - one of them being this password program.

It sounds like your computer is not BOOTING from CD but going right to the hardrive. Try pressing F1 or F2 or Possibly Esc while it starts On my computer it is F2 - that brings up a menu of the boot order - mine says Floppy Drive, CD Drive, then Hardrive. It is possible that yours says Floppy then Hardrive then CD. In which case it never gets to the CD because the Menu you describe is the WinXP menu that you choose safemode from etc. What happens if you choose last known settings that worked or the restore mode? Anyways I would try to have it boot from the CD. Put the Boot CD in another computer to see that it works - it should boot up in its own psuedo operating system that allows you to access your computer.

Good luck

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Well someone made the CD for me, but my understanding is that it is a program that you run, the program then takes information off of the original Windows CD and creates a disk that includes bootup. I don't know about having 2 disks.

As far as the options - when i load the CD it skips that entirely and loads from the DISK. Then there are options for the CD itself that come up - one of them being this password program.

It sounds like your computer is not BOOTING from CD but going right to the hardrive. Try pressing F1 or F2 or Possibly Esc while it starts On my computer it is F2 - that brings up a menu of the boot order - mine says Floppy Drive, CD Drive, then Hardrive. It is possible that yours says Floppy then Hardrive then CD. In which case it never gets to the CD because the Menu you describe is the WinXP menu that you choose safemode from etc. What happens if you choose last known settings that worked or the restore mode? Anyways I would try to have it boot from the CD. Put the Boot CD in another computer to see that it works - it should boot up in its own psuedo operating system that allows you to access your computer.

Good luck

Hi sandamon
I have went back and changed the boot from a drive to cd rom drive now the cd drive is starting program and says caldera dr-dos 7.03 then (dr-dos) A:\> what do i type now doe's this look right to you Thanks again for your help.

ps.Thanks caracas for your help Cheyenne 09

Edited by cheyenne 09, 11 July 2006 - 11:00 AM.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi Forum
The computer that i am using to post in the forum is on loan and i have to return it in ten days time so I have to find a way to fix my dell 8300 as nothing i have tried to do with the help of techs and members so far has not worked but i have had some good ideas from you so if i borrow an external hard drive i could i install my own version of windows xp home onto it and how would I do this as i dont know how to set up the inside drives and stuff it would be connected by usb cable I have not been able to use my own computer now for the last 10 weeks it is now urgent that I solve this as if i can't I will have no computer to use at all i also downloaded the ultimate boot cd but i could'nt set it up to run it any help would be great thanks for your help.

Cheyenne 09

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi cheyenne 09...

Sorry for the delay...I thought one of the other TT's was still helping you.

Give me a little while to review all the other threads you had started so we're not covering ground you've already covered. I will post back in a bit.

wannabe1

kewal

kewal

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
alright i had the same kinda problem with some differences
just use the windows xp home cd that you got with your pc and insert it in the cd-drive. get into your bios change the boot priority so that your cd drive comes up first.
exit saving changes
the computer will reboot
it will ask you to press a key to reboot from cd.
so press a key and enter the process. it will do some tests and stuff and then it will come to a screen that will ask you to either setup windows, go to repair con
sole or exit setup.
go for setup windows
a colorfull screen will come up and the process will start.
press SHIFT + F10. cmd will open up. type this code in: control userpasswords2. a dialog box with all the users will come and just reset the account you want.

let the setup finish. this is very important.

it will take about 40mins- 1hr. it will then reboot.
the logon screen will come and it will ask you to activate windows. just select activate via internet and your done.

*NOTE* this will install a fresh copy of windows. while the files will be there, the settings wont.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I believe cheyenne has already tried the repair install...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have a floppy drive on both your machines, cheyenne 09?

beethoven

beethoven

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
It's kind of hard for me to tell exactly what the problem is, but for whatever it's worth to whomever, in my experience, I learned that you may need USB connections unplugged (don't ask me why, that's what Dell said, and it worked) in order to get F8 to work in order to get into Safe Mode. I realize that may or may not be the problem, but that may help someone.