Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

So what do I do Now, Please

• Please log in to reply

LIZMERRILL

LIZMERRILL

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
I put a new bios chip in, because the flash
process from a 3rd party vendor, blew my original bios. Now I believe xp has a problem
so I have my system disk in the cd and what do I do now:
Welcome to Setup
To Setup XPnow, press Enter
To Repair WindowsXP installation using recovery console, press R
To quit setup withour installing XP, press F2

Before this fiasco, btw, system restore was turned off in xp.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Instead of booting with the cd and trying to repair Windows, try a System File Check.

Start > Run > cmd
sfc /scannow
(note the space!) You will be prompted for your XP cd.

sfc - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

If you want to see what was replaced, right click My Computer > manage, expand event viewer > system.

System File Checker (sfc)
Scans and verifies the versions of all protected system files after you restart your computer.

Johanna

LIZMERRILL

LIZMERRILL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I am sorry, i guess i forgot to clarify, windows does not boot up, AT
ALL. Any suggestions would help, re my original posting above.

Thank you,

Liz

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
Hi there. no tsure this will work for you but did worked 50% out of the times for me.
-Go to bios, try to RE-ENTER every things,I mean even set up are right just re-enter them... and save your changes to get out.
-The XP don't like to boot up after hardware screwed up but it more than likely will boot in safe mode for you. Just rebot few time in safe mode and it may boot back in normal for you.
This is no warranty fix but It it easy, quick and most importance, it doesn't hurt any thing to try.
WORK for me many times.
Good luck.