Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer instantly freezes

• Please log in to reply

karlbond88

karlbond88

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Ok i posted in the OS forum a while ago and i found no solution, so i thought i should post this issue in hardware, because i believe it is a hardware issue (installed a new blank HDD a week ago, still happenes)

My spec is as follows:

PSU: Jeantech 450W
Motherboard: Foxconn 865G7AF
Processor: Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz Prescott
RAM: Corsair 1GB DDR400
GFX Card: PNY GeForce 6600 256MB 256-bit

So far i have established that it is not my RAM (i tested my computer with different RAM)
It is not my Processor as it opperates at 40-50max (it is a prescott remember)
It is not my GFX card, if it was i would have a drop in FPS and i have also tried multi-tasking to cause it crash.

I have come to the conclusion that it could be my chipset over heating, but it has it's own heatsink and my computer is well heated.

Please i need this issue sorted as i have had this problem for a few months now. Note that i have built this system myself a year ago, it has only recently started.

Advertisements

Mitesh

Mitesh

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
That is strange, oh and I think you were meant to say that your system is well cooled not heated!! Hmm, to tell you the truth I have never heard of a Jeantech PSU it sounds more like a clothes company! After a bit of research on your PSU if you live in the UK then you are most likely to have bought your PSU from PC World and as any trusted computer builder will tell you (Well I certainly for 1), Never buy anything like that from stores such as PC World, they are for the less knowledgable (in terms of computing) people.
Thtey dont sell any 'power' products or anything for the mid to high end user.
To me it sounds like your PSU is coughing.
How many Opticcal drives, HDD's and additional PCI or other cards have you got..... include any fans anything which consumes a relativley large amount of power.

Im guessing your memory is PC3200?
Check that your case is defintely adequatley ventialted and that you have more outake then intake therefore creating a slight negative pressure within the csae so that hot air does not get 'stuck at crucial parts.

karlbond88

karlbond88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I have used speedfan to check my voltages (im at work now so i can't post the results) would you like the results?

If it is the PSU then can't i unplug the DVD-ROM drive and CD-RW drives to help. Lastnight i kept the side of my PC off and had a large fan i normally use to keep ME cool blow at full speed diectly at the PC, and it didn't crash all night, i dont know what this means. it could just be that all the other fans slowed down, using less power right?

When i purchased the PSU i didn't know as much about computers as i do now (im taking a BTEC ND for IT in college) So i know now not to buy from PC world, now i buy from Komplett lol.

So your saying it's my PSU, can i unplug some componants such as the DVD, CD-RW, and Floppy drives to help improve it's chances of not crashing?

Mitesh

Mitesh

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Yes try unplugging those unnessecary devices and post those speedfan results.
Well if you put that large fan in front of it with the side of off then it could be that it is overheating.
First check it with the side on and with all optical drives etc removed (not fans!), if it still crashes it is very likely to be overheating, if this is the case download Everest Home Edition (just type it in gogle) which will let you check the tempreatures of your processer and hard drives.
Another simple test is try running a game and feel each component with the machine running and I stress to be VERY careful as to what you touch avoid obvious capacitors etc just touch the heatsinks, if they are tooo hot too touch then you have found your problem.
Keep us posted.