Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

shdocvw.dll causing app errors?

• Please log in to reply

ldbonner

ldbonner

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
I was curious as to anyone who has had issues running applications that are recieving a

component "shdocvw.dll" or one of its dependancies not correctly registered. File is missing or invalid

For other programs, i get a similar message with a "runtime error 339"

Is there anything in particular I should do to eliminate this error so my programs will start up??

Thanks

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then Run, type regsvr32 shdocvw.dll‏ then press enter

ldbonner

ldbonner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I recieved an error msg

loadlibrary(show shdocvw.dll) - specified module could not be found

Any other thoughts or suggestions?‏

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Most of what they have are hotfixes

http://support.micro...l...1173&range=

Did you type it exactly

ldbonner

ldbonner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Yes, I did type it in identically. I will tellyou this, I have errors when trying to do an IE update. Ill post the msg below.

=============================

The site cannot continue because one or more of these Windows services is not running:

Automatic Updates (allows the site to find, download and install high-priority updates for your computer)
Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) (helps updates download more quickly and without problems if the download process is interrupted)
Event Log (keeps a record of updating activities to help with troubleshooting, if needed)
To make sure these services are running:
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. Type services.msc and then click OK.
3. In the list of services, double-click on Automatic Updates and then click Properties.
4. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
5. Verify that the Service status is started, if the Service Status is Stopped click on the Start Button.
6. In the list of services, double-click on Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) and then click Properties.
7. In the Startup type list, select Manual and click Apply.
8. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is Stopped click on the Start Button.
9. In the list of services, double-click on Event Log and then click Properties.
10. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
11. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is Stopped click on the Start Button.
If this does not resolve the problem you may request help from one of the following resources.

For self-help options:

Frequently Asked Questions
Find Solutions
Windows Update Newsgroup
For assisted support options:
Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for Windows Update issues)

Read more about steps you can take to resolve this problem (error number 0x80070422) yourself.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Were those services running?

ldbonner

ldbonner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
no, they were not running. and could not be started either, which is a concern of mine.

Thanks

ldb

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc defragmenter

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Try to start the services

ldbonner

ldbonner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
This task will obviously take some time. I am working with Windows support right now to also clear up the issue.

I dont think that this will neccessarily fix the DLL issues Im having, which may also be contributing to some programs not installing or even running correctly at all. But Im hoping that this is a start.

Give me 24 hours and I will have this task hopefully completed.

regards,

ldb

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It replaces the system files, so worth a go, the next thing would be a repair install, this leaves data and programmes intact