Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive problems

• Please log in to reply

seedless

seedless

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
Hey guys I recently formatted my 250 gig Maxtor drive through manage. I deleted the partition and repartitioned it, now the problem I’m having is that its heating up rely bad, now its not my Os hard drive its jest a storage drive, I have as a slave next to my master Western Digital drive. Could anyone give me sum advice to why its heating up so hot, also the 250 gig maxter is a brand new drive I jest got, because my other maxter drive was doing the same thing, so im thinking something is messing up my drives.

Advertisements

MNOB07

MNOB07

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
Maxtor harddrives do tend to run a bit hotter than others. What temperature it say it is at? You can check with hdtune: http://www.hdtune.com

Most harddrives are made to be able to run fine to about 55C - 60C. if it's over 50C You should try to put more space in between the hardrives so they're not heating each other up. If possible move it to another bay that's a bit more ventilated, or even install/relocate a fan...

Edited by MNOB07, 02 July 2006 - 04:17 PM.

seedless

seedless

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Ok i installed the program and it's telling me that my hard drive is running at 58 Degrees i think my computers going to catch on fire any second now

JimB007

JimB007

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
If it's true that Maxtor HardDrives tend to heat up a bit more than others; than perhaps that could explain why my external HD Maxtor 250Gb only lasted like 3 months b4 it started to behave weird with all king of bad clusters, bad sectors, corrupt files etc...

Now add to that the fact that it was placed in the much too small case of a LaCie (Porsche design) plastic case (yes, not metal).

After a while I got a new one, and yes it heated up a little bit less but vibrated like [bleep]. It was a Seagate that LaCie now uses instead of Maxtor.

Oh yes BTW Seagate= Maxtor

Maxtor ? No thanks, I'll pass.

I have another external HD from WesternDigital that is running like 15 hours a day during more than 1.5 years. Of course it's in a metal case, has a fan that you can feel the air blowing out of the case, and of course the case is much bigger than the LaCie.