Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Zapped at Explorer Active Desktop Recovery

• Please log in to reply

MikeDTX

MikeDTX

• Pip
  • 6 posts
My Dell Dimnesion 4100 with Windows98 has been zapping repeatedly upon startup. I get the Big Blue Screen at the time it appears on or about the time the Default Background (a green aqua colored background) goes to a white background "Active Destop Recovery"

If I hit Excape, the screen momentarily reverts to the ADR, then zaps again.

Now a second problem seems to have occurred. I tried starting in Safe Mode and the problem above isn't occurring. However, when trying to restart in Normal Mode, and I've checked this several times now, the startup continues to be in Safe Mode. I was going to give the details of the Protection Fault and the language of the ADR background, but I cannot now recreate the problem as I'm stuck in Safe Mode.

I will add that for at least a year, probably longer, the Explorer Background (using the green aqua default background) has automattically gone to "Active Destop Recovery" background (

Please advise if more information is needed from me. I'm not the most skilled PC user (just enough to be dangerous :tazz:, and any assistance I receive will be greatly appreciated. God bless.

MikeDTX
Dallas

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Turn off the Active Desktop. It was never anything but a load of trouble, as you've discovered. Can't believe you've struggled along with it all this time.
Active Desktop should never have been born.