Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unalterable Microsoft Excel Cells

• Please log in to reply

Alex001

Alex001

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Dear Group,

Can anyone suggest a method of entering data into a Microsoft Excel document cell, which then becomes unalterable.

For example, I wish to enter medical information into the excel document, and which becomes unalterable after say 24 hours. I still wish to be able to add addition medical information at a later date to the same document, but the original information in the document must remain unalterable (even with a password) for legal purposes.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

Alex001

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
What to do is first add a password. Open Excel and click on Tools -> Options. Click on the security tab. First, enter a password to open. Next, make a different password to modify, and if you won't be making changes later, put a check-mark in the read-only box. Hope this helps :whistling:

Alex001

Alex001

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Stormknight,

Unfortunately, I don't think it will work as I'll know the password and it would be very difficult in a court of law to prove that I couldn't / didn't alter original information in the medical file at a later date.

A way around this may be through an audit log recording all changes to the patient's Microsoft Excel computer file, but are there any decent programs that can do this?

OR

Is there a way in Excel to make information entered in a cell unchangeable after the actual file is saved. In other words, if I opened the Excel document at a later date, I want to be able to add information to the file, but be unable to change any existing information in the file.

Kind Regards,

Alex001

Alex001

Alex001

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Stormknight,

Unfortunately, I don't think it will work as I'll know the password and it would be very difficult in a court of law to prove that I couldn't / didn't alter original information in the medical file at a later date.

A way around this may be through an audit log recording all changes to the patient's Microsoft Excel computer file, but are there any decent programs that can do this?

OR

Is there a way in Excel to make information entered in a cell unchangeable after the actual file is saved. In other words, if I opened the Excel document at a later date, I want to be able to add information to the file, but be unable to change any existing information in the file.

Kind Regards,

Alex001