Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

X1900 XT not playing ball

• Please log in to reply

callard

callard

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hi all,

Let me start from the top. I upgreaded my computer a little while ago and I went from a Nvidia Gforce 7800GTX to a ATi Radeon X1900XT and well I was expecting a big boost in graphics and over all speed in games but no. I played NFS: MW on my 7800GTX and it ran like a dream the day I got my X1900XT the game just didn't seem to run like it did on my old 7800GTX and from benchmarking I've seen it should run it faster but it dosn't! it gets very choppy in places and in the change between card I left the settings of the game alone.

I have the 1.3 patch for the game and the leasted drivers for my graphics card what chould be wrong I can't work this one out. I have a feeling my CPU might be holding my graphics card back but I really don't know.

So help would be most thanked here guys. :whistling:

Again thanks all that can help.

Advertisements

Mitesh

Mitesh

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
First up no way is your CPU holding things back and that is one nice computer custom built im guessing. U defintley have enough power there for 1 card so really I cannot see the problem it could be the card, when I received mine it came dead on arrival and it did not output a signal, as I later found out this was a manufacturing problem and there have been slight defects in some of their cards.
Try the card in a diffrent computer and see if it makes any diffrence.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Looks like you might not have got rid of the gfx drivers properly, Nvidia drivers even the traces of them will play badly with ATI hardware.

Use driver cleaner, standard instructions safe mode run twice clear out all gfx drivers etc. then reboot run again to make sure all gone, then install latest ATI drivers, rare occasions a windows reinstall might be needed to get rid of every trace.

Your CPU might just hold it back tis beastingly fast card but it shouldnt be worse than the 7800 if that was the case.