Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Issue with Windows XP Taskbar

• Please log in to reply

†_Moose_†

†_Moose_†

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
In my Taskbar for Windows XP there is a "Button" with two arrows << on it. By right clicking on the taskbar or systems tray you can change the Taskbar and Start Menu Properties. In the Properties window, there is a circle where you can put a check mark to "hide inactive icons", or you can uncheck it to show them all the time. I have done everything possible, but cannot get that button with the arrows to appear. My Taskbar only shows my AVG Anti Virus program, and my Windows Live Messenger. There is obviously a glitch here and I'm hopeful someone can provide me with some answers to correct this issue. Thanks...... :whistling:

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there †_Moose_†, go back to the properties of the task bar.

> Select "Hide Inactive Icons"
> Then click "Customize..."
> Click on "Windows Live Messanger"

In the drop down box, on the left of that select "Always Hide" and the click "ok", then "Apply". The arrows should appear to be working now. Do the same steps for your "AVG". Let me know if you got it working.

Cool :whistling:

†_Moose_†

†_Moose_†

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Hi Spike, that did the trick. The button is there now and I thank you. Now I have another question. In the Customize window of the task bar, there is a list of "Current items" and a list of "Past items". In the Past items list, I have programs like Windows Registry Repair Pro and a few others that used to automatically be in my taskbar when I had Windows ME. Is there a way to get them to appear in the Windows XP Taskbar? I suppose I could just keep them in Toolbars / Quick Launch, but I usually don't like to use that option.....Oh, and also important, no matter what I have tried, I cannot get the Volume icon to display in the Taskbar. I like it there because it's convenient. It is not listed in Customize section of the window. I've asked about this before and no one could help. Maybe you can. Thanks, and sorry to be such a pain in the neck. :whistling:

Edited by †_Moose_†, 04 July 2006 - 04:15 AM.

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey again †_Moose_†. I can defintly help...

Volume icon to display in the Taskbar

Goto:
> Start
> Control Panel
> Sounds And Audio Devices

There is an option "Place volume icon in the taskbar", select that and click "Ok". You should now see the volume icon in the taskbar, you can also hide it and unhide it using the "Customize" option in the taskbar properties like before.

In the Past items list, I have programs like Windows Registry Repair Pro and a few others that used to automatically be in my taskbar when I had Windows ME. Is there a way to get them to appear in the Windows XP Taskbar

Well, yes. But this would mean having to make them open at windows startup. This could slow your system down a bit, but... In the programs (Eg. Windows Registry Repair Pro) options, there should be an option to make the program start at startup. If not, then I can only think of one way, and that would be by re-installing the program.

I am glad I could help you a bit more, let me know if my suggestions worked. If you need any more information, please feel free to ask. Cool :whistling:

†_Moose_†

†_Moose_†

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Hi again Spike.....
Goto:
Start
Control Panel
Sounds And Audio Devices

There is an option "Place volume icon in the taskbar", select that and click "Ok". You should now see the volume icon in the taskbar, you can also hide it and unhide it using the "Customize" option in the taskbar properties like before.
------------
I Did all that and no icon shows up. I meant to tell you that in my last post, that I had done everything you posted above. I'm open to any other suggestions. Everyone else that tried to help with this problem could not. Maybe a glitch in the system somewhere? What I did do was make a short cut to my desktop and then dragged it to my Tool Bar / Quick Launch so it's easier to get at the volume control, but it seems to me there ought to be an answer to the mystery as to why it will not show up in the Task bar. Thanks and as I said if you can think of anything else I can try I would appreciate it very much........ P.S. I did reinstall Windows Registry Pro, chose the "add icon to task bar" option, and I also reinstalled other programs, including one which is called "ICONDESK", a program that makes the lettering under the desktop icons transparent, plus you can change the font color plus a few other cool tricks, this program also has the "add icon to TaskBar" option, but they still don't show in the Task bar. Strange... :whistling:

Edited by †_Moose_†, 04 July 2006 - 05:58 AM.

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Ok, let try something new....

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this. This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor.

After you have followed all the steps, try adding icons again to the task bar and let me know if it works. There may be a problem with your system files, the programs I asked you to run should fix most of the problems that may be causing this. Also make sure you have SP2 installed.

†_Moose_†

†_Moose_†

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
If you are talking about Internet Explorer Service Pack 2 (SP2), no, I have SP1. Should I download SP2 first before going through all the other directions you sent? (I have XP Home Edition). I really dont want to go through all that other stuff unless I really have to. So please tell me if I should try downloading SP2 first ok? Maybe that's all I need to do to get things straightened out? Thanks............P.S. Maybe you should start charging me for all your help. :whistling:

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey again †_Moose_†, sorry for all the late responses.

Windows Updates - It is very important to make sure that both Internet Explorer and Windows are kept current with the latest critical security patches from Microsoft. To do this just start Internet Explorer and select Tools > Windows Update, and follow the online instructions from there.

Should I download SP2 first before going through all the other directions you sent?

Yes, defintly first do windows updates and see if there is any change in your problems.

I really dont want to go through all that other stuff unless I really have to.

If SP2 does not repair the problem, I would recommend following the instruction I have given you, but even then I can NOT guarantee that those instructions will work and will give different instructions. I am sorry for all the work needed to make a problem go away, but I always say "It Is Better Than A Formatt". :help:

Maybe you should start charging me for all your help.

LOL :blink: Na, that wouldn't be right, not in principle. I enjoy helping in any ways I can, the only payment required when the problem is fixed would be a "Thank You". That would be great gratitude, a "Thank You" is the reason we help, makes us feel great!!!